WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How to fill defects question?

Posts

How to fill defects question?

#1

How to fill defects question?

Barry Irby

I have some cherry with defects a client wants in a sofa table. There are a few small knot holes and partial knots and some interesting cracks. Several of the pieces are beautiful and otherwise sound. I offered to fill them with turquoise to "celebrate" the defects, but they want something more subdued and suggested gluing sawdust into the voids. I have done it before using CA (Cyno Acrilate) but I keep reading bad reports on the longevity of CA.

What do you recommend? Epoxy? Titebond? What/how?

Re: How to fill defects question?

#2

Re: How to fill defects question?

John K Jordan

I filled a void in a cedar turning that was part of an extended bark inclusion. I cut slivers of bark of different colors and glued them in one at a time to build an artificial bark inclusion in the void. This took a while but looked great. I used CA.

I once carefully cut out a bad knot and glued in a nicer knot, carefully shaped for a perfect fit. Used wood glue.

Maybe you should provide a wee bit of a hint as to the width, depth, and extent of the typical and worst defects. Photos?

JKJ

Re: How to fill defects question?

#3

JL

Re: How to fill defects question?

JL

I have filled knots and defects the following ways.

Epoxy (5 minute) with sawdust - it can be noticed, but it works and holds up well.

Thick CA glue with sawdust - again, it will be noticed, but it does work and holds up reasonably well.

Titebond with patches - putting in a patch of a similar material with Titebond glue - routing out the defect and then putting in a patch. Works well and won't hardly be noticed.

Re: How to fill defects question?

#4

Re: How to fill defects question?

Bart S Goldberg

I recommend using two part epoxy mixed a dark colored dye. While 5 minute will do for small holes, you may want the slow setting stuff for larger holes. The slower setting will give the epoxy time to seep into the crevasses better the the fast setting stuff. I would avoid using sawdust in this mix as it tends to cause air bubbles.

Re: How to fill defects question?

#5

Re: How to fill defects question?

paul in AZ

I have used epoxy many times. Depends on the size etc. of the defects.

Epoxy cures clear but mixed with a drop of black stain it will fill defects and look somewhat like the black flecks cherry often has.

It sands and finishes well.

For a larger defect consider putting in a Dutchman to fill most of the void and then use epoxy for whatever gaps remain. The dutchman doesn't need to be a perfect inlay.

I haven't had as much luck with epoxy/sawdust mixes.

Re: How to fill defects question?

#6

FWW...

Tony - Memphis

I saw a neat idea in FWW recently. I believe the gentleman that sent the idea in used a dowel. He first "charred" the dowel to blacken it, then glued it in.

I have used epoxy with pastel chalk to blacken it. It actually turned out pretty good. Looked like a natural cherry inclusion or whatever those black areas are called.

I've seen all sorts of ideas for filler - even coffee. I used that for something, but can't recall what.

Might be worth experimenting.

Tony

Re: How to fill defects question?

#7

5 minute epoxy and used coffee grounds

Dick Coers

Dying epoxy looks too much like plastic to me. Used coffee grounds are dark, but there is a little variation in color and particle size. It looks more natural to me. The used grounds MUST be thoroughly dried!

Re: How to fill defects question?

#8

Re: How to fill defects question?

john lucas

Barry I mix up clear epoxy and then add some colorant, usually either Trans Tint or paint. I mix the epoxy so it's translucent. That way it picks up some of the color of the wood. Paint tends to thicken it slightly but in many cases I need to thicken it anyway. I have also used shoe dye very successfully.

Re: How to fill defects question?

#9

Re: How to fill defects question?

Jim O'Connor

I have used Bondo an automotive filler for dents, etc. I have found it in gray and a reddish color. Looked really great in the defects found in diamond willow wood used for canes.

Re: How to fill defects question?

#10

Re: How to fill defects question?

BrianMonumentCO

When I was a gunsmith school the stockmaking instructor advised me to mix a batch of ACRAGLASS trade name of Brownells epoxy 4 parts resin to 1 part harderner AND do it WITHOUT coloring. Pour epoxy into knots and crack and allow it to seek its level refilling as necessary. Leave the epoxy a little proud of the surface as it will shrink ever so slightly.

Results in WALNUT not CHERRY gave a very interesting almost translucent appearance.

Do NOT USE CA.

Do NOT USE TItebond for filling cracks

USE EPOXY to fill cracks.

Re: How to fill defects question?

#11

Re: How to fill defects question?

Don Stephan

Don't like CA because it tends to stain the surrounding wood. I have 1 ounce bottles of a number of dried pigments (fresco powders?) that I use to tint epoxy.

Re: How to fill defects question?

#13

Thanks for the Ideas and help, off to the shop


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.