Lights to strap to your head
Alan Young
I think I could use a light that is mounted to a head band. Any particular recommendations?
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Lights to strap to your head
Alan Young
I think I could use a light that is mounted to a head band. Any particular recommendations?
Re: Lights to strap to your head *LINK*
John McGaw
I have one of these and it seems to work pretty well. Not the cheapest one out there and it has a few features that won't help in the shop (flashing and red lights and SOS signalling) but it seems that these are thrown in willy-nilly in most of these Chinese items. Main light is quite bright.
Foxelli
Re: Lights to strap to your head
William Duffield
I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016Q8G9OU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is similar to the previous one I had (different brand, but almost identical), which failed after about 7 months. I kept the parts of the first one for spares. It is convenient having extra rechargeable batteries and charger. No complaints with the new one, so far.
The only minor inconvenience is when using it with my OptiVisor. The visor has to go on first, and the headlamp goes on over it. I have to take the headlamp off if I need to flip the visor up so I can see things farther away than the top of my bench.
My favorite
John K Jordan
Alan,
I have had several and this is my all time favorite - I've bought three of them so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UHZXAYG
Some positives:
- small and light weight
- no separate battery compartment
- uses a single AA battery
- quite bright, three brightness levels
- very comfortable headband
Some weaknesses:
- doesn't have red light if that is important
- some people have complained it comes on in the High mode and they accidentally shine it in someone's eyes. Duh.
I use this a lot around the farm and when I need hands-free
JKJ
Re: Lights to strap to your head *LINK*
john in lutz
I like the ones with the battery pack in the back. This balances the weight of the light in the front. This one is similar to another recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFT71KM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Black Diamond "Spot"
Virgil Johnson
My wife and I both have the "Spot" headlamp made by Black Diamond. Awesome amount of light from 3aaa batteries. Looks like the style has changed since I bought mine in 2013.
Carefull
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
I got my son a "reputed major bright" headlamp as he rides a bike as part of his commute. Turns out the thing needs 3.4v batteries (rather than AA's) and they are hard to find and very expensive to get rechargeables.
Check the battery requirements before you buy.
Re: Carefull
William Duffield
The one I use (see above) comes with two rechargeable #18650 LiIon batteries that can be charged in an included separate external charger or can be charged on-line with an included plug-in USB charger. Some similar lights include a vehicle cigarette lighter charger.
Battery type
John K Jordan
>>>Check the battery requirements before you buy.
That's a big reason I like the Fenix headlamp and some other Fenix lights. Another big reason is the user interface - what happens when you press the button. I won't have a light of any kind that will cycle through the modes (including the strobe and SOS) just because it can.
My favorite hand flashlight is the LD22 which fits nicely in the pocket, uses 2 AA batteries, has levels from extremely dim but enough to see to walk, all the way to a light so powerful I can use to see across the horse pasture. The UI is done right - press lightly on the rear button for a momentary light. The mode button is separate from the on/off button. You don't have to cycle through the silly flashing modes but they are there if you want them. Very nice, I bought six so far. Some of the rechargeable Fenix lights have a built-in volt meter so you can tell when you will soon need to recharge.
JKJ
Re: Lights to strap to your head
TomD
The heap end of the spectrum have some pretty good lights in them. Hunters seem to prefer the Energizer
https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Vision-Headlamp-Batteries-Included/dp/B00TI8GSHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513120762&sr=8-2&keywords=energizer+headlamp
Hunters are walking through the woods, and then up a tree 15 to 25 feet, in the dark, so they need a decent light.
--------------------------------
My bias is towards climbing lights. You use the light to climb in the dark to avoid rockfalls that comes with the sun. These lights have to be serious, and Black Diamond is a very serious company, yet makes a decent light for 17 dollars, the BD Astro. I love the dimmer function. You can spend hundreds on a climbing light, BD has been the subject of bogus suits, so you know they are doing their due diligence. Well made stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Astro-Headlamp-Aluminum/dp/B06VTVPN7F/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1513121429&sr=1-3&keywords=black%2Bdiamond%2Bheadlamp%2Bastro&th=1&psc=1
------------------
As the recipient of a 7 5/8-7 3/4 size head, I can tell you the Astro needs some editing in the headband when you hit that size of bean bag. It is OK for the bare head, but these things are supposed to be usable over a cap or helmet, and no way. Even at my size, I find I can't wear the lamp with the strap provided for too long, in comfort. And speaking of straps, the strap is critical, particularly for the headband type. They need to be very firm, and serious, not the underwear type where the light sags the first time you wear it.
----------------------
If you wear a ballcap, the lights that clip on the brim of ball caps, good ones, are a realistic options to headlamps. Particularly when you are in the asteroid head size range.
Re: Battery type
Jim Dillon
John, yes battery type is important. Based on your recommendation a year (?) or so ago, I purchased the LD22 and am very satisfied with it. Very well made. Great output and uses the commonly available AA batteries - which seem to last a long time. Plus small enough to fit in my mouth when needed. Liked it so much, I got two more. Then I got greedy. Bigger is better, right? So I got the PD35 TAC. Shorter and somewhat larger in diameter. I like the compactness of it. BUT, it takes a not-so-common (i.e. more expensive) battery size (CA123) that doesn't seem to last very long even though I only run it mostly at the 2nd or 3rd lowest setting. But both are really nice LED flashlights. And rugged. I've dropped the LD22 a number of times onto a tile floor from 18-inches or so and so far (knock-on-wood) no damage. Thanks for the original recommendation. Jim
LD22
John K Jordan
That's great to hear Jim! Some others I know got some too and like them.
I also have some lights that use two CR123 batteries and they will also take a single larger rechargeable 16340 (I think). If your light uses two and the batteries run down too fast maybe the rechargeable would be cheaper, although I find great deals on Amazon on occasion for the CR123.
JKJ