WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

I had a Domino Duh! moment....

Posts

I had a Domino Duh! moment....

#1

I had a Domino Duh! moment....

Barry Irby

I got a huge box of 16" long 3/8" by 7/8" sticks of maple that have radiused edges for nothing. About a thousand pieces.

I tested them as replacements for 10mm dominos. They are just a hair loose. I checked with Festool about a 3/8 bit. No help. Checked with one of the after market companies and they inquired about regrinding a 10mm down enough to make it work, but they don't want to do just one or two.

Then it dawned on me. Rather than have a bit made, I could just cut my stick down to 8mm. Duhh

So I did. Ran a few of them through the planer and cut them to length. Made about 400 dominoes in about an hour. Did not put a dent into my stash.

Re: I had a Domino Duh! moment....

#2

Re: I had a Domino Duh! moment....

jesse cloud

Good move Barry! Sounds like you are good on Dominoes for a long time!!

8mm are my favorite, perfect for 3/4 stock.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.