WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 β€” 27 years of woodworking knowledge

3520 powermatic lathe

Posts

3520 powermatic lathe

#1

3520 powermatic lathe

ben d.

Does anyone know if the 3520 lathe could be either 120 volt or 220 volt input or if it was only offered as a 220 version.

What would one look for to determine which if offered as either.

This is a 3520 and not the A or the B.

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

#2

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

size of motor would be a clue. Anything over 1.5 HP needs to be run off 220V. Motor plate would reveal if it can be wired either voltage.

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

#3

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

ben d.

I do have a picture from the motor and it does say 2 hp. and 220 input , but could it not still be 110 input with a convertor , invertor on it, could it not be stepped up 220. I have a picture of the control box but too fuzzy to read anything that is on it.

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

#4

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

William Duffield

You're likely to get better responses, quicker, if you ask on the Turning forum.

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/turning.pl

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

#5

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

John K Jordan

I have a 3520B. All the 3520s I know of are 220v. The motors are 3-phase driven by a VFD running on 220v single phase. The Delta VFD they use is 220v only. Perhaps you could put a 110v VFD on one and run it at reduced power like the Jet 1642 but I don't know.

The Jet 1642 (I have two) is available in 1.5hp 110v and 2 hp 220v. Actually, the motors are rated as such but not driven to that power. From my investigation it appears the 1.5hp, for example, is only driven to 1hp since that's all the VFD will output.

JKJ

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

#6

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Bill is right. Wire up a circuit for 220.

An inverter changes DC to AC and will not do what you are thinking. You would need a 30A circuit at 110 volts to handle the startup current. Better to change the circuit to 220. It’s not hard to do. My compressor kept tripping on 110 and the electrical inspector advised me to put in a 220 circuit and rewire the motor for 220. I have never had s problem since.

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

#7

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

Dick Coers

"This is a 3520 and not the A or the B."

I believe those are your only options. I know of no other model except for the A and B. Pretty sure they just didn't have the A designation on the model number. They just went to the letter designation to differentiate the second model update release. They are just now started to sell the C.

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

#8

Re: 3520 powermatic lathe

john lucas

The 3520 is basically the same as the A or B as far as motor and controller are concerned. It runs on 220 single phase. It won't run on 110. I own one.

πŸ‘ This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.