WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT. Microswitch

Posts

OT. Microswitch

#1

Kneale Brownson

OT. Microswitch

Kneale Brownson

I have a microswitch I need to replace that says "landis&gyr" plus SAIA on one side and X003276. Plus. 912. On the other. Website for L&G has no switch inform on it I could find. Any suggestions?

Re: OT. Microswitch

#2

Re: OT. Microswitch

CJ in MPLS

Microswitches are not generally critical, i.e. they don't have to be one particular switch. So long as they fit into the intended location and work, no worries.

I'm of the opinion that you can probably find a suitable replacement switch in the SAIA catalog. (http://www.ermec.com/catalogos/2017/saia-switch-catalogs.pdf)

Re: OT. Microswitch

#3

Re: OT. Microswitch

Brian Aust

Landis & Gyr was bought by Siemens, so you might check their products.

Re: OT. Microswitch

#4

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT. Microswitch

Kneale Brownson

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to read the specifications to choose the correct switch. This is what I have:


The red spot is a plunger that's activated by another part sliding past the switch. The black spots are holes for screws used to mount the switch.

Re: OT. Microswitch

#5

Re: OT. Microswitch

John K Jordan

That says 1/2A (500ma) and 24v, low voltage and amperage - typical of micro switches. (The contacts in microswitches are typically tiny and can't handle a lot of current) In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the circuit this is used in uses even lower current and voltage.

With microswitches the thing to do is find one with the holes and the actuator button in the same place. This might be easy, considering all the microswitches I have here have the same hole size and spacing.

JKJ

Re: OT. Microswitch

#6

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: OT. Microswitch

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

They're pretty much a common configuration. They're just about all the same physical size. Nearly all are designed for low voltage, low current applications, and have three solderable lugs.

The lugs are one common (usually the center one); one 'normally closed;' and one 'normally open.'

Take one of your failed switches to any electrical/electronic supply store and they'll be able to match it up for you with little or no problem. Cost will only be a few bucks. The switches are very common, and relatively inexpensive. In fact, I'd buy a couple extras while you're there, just to have them on hand for the next failure.

I've seen these switches used in eferything from a microwave oven door to an aircraft landing gear. Like I said: They're quite common. ;)

Re: OT. Microswitch

#7

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT. Microswitch

Kneale Brownson

Unfortunately, the nearest electronics store is a 150-mile roundtrip

Re: OT. Microswitch

#8

Re: OT. Microswitch

John K Jordan

>>>Unfortunately, the nearest electronics store is a 150-mile roundtrip

Amazon carries a lot of microswitches. Some look like yours. Those with a hinged lever will still work if you cut off the lever.

Re: OT. Microswitch

#9

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT. Microswitch

Kneale Brownson

Most of the lever versions have a squared-off button to press. Mine has a "A" top that gets pressed by an arm sliding past it.

Re: OT. Microswitch

#10

Re: OT. Microswitch

John K Jordan

You can shape the button to suit - all I've seen are plastic. Or try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Actuator-Switch-Replacement-Pentair-Compool/dp/B01D3S9OPM

JKJ

Re: OT. Microswitch

#11

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT. Microswitch

Kneale Brownson

Giving Amazon a try

Re: OT. Microswitch

#12

Re: OT. Microswitch may be "Cherry" brand

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

"Microswitch" is a brand name. Other manufacture's also make miniature switches per your picture (in fact it is possible, but not likely, that Landis made the one in question.

Measuring the switch dimensions (thickness, length, height, and hole positions and then the actuator position and height) (You also have to compare the electrical specifications to be sure you meet or exceed the ratings of the existing switch)and comparing it to the dimensions of Microswitches does not provide a match.

If you do not find a suitable match, try Cherry switches as they are one of the largest competitors of Microswitch.

If all else fails you may need to change the design by adding additional mounting holes or bracket and using one of the standard switches available.

Re: OT. Microswitch

#13

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT. Microswitch from Amazon

Kneale Brownson

Amazing??

Amazon reports one microswitch will arrive Dec. 18-19, the other JAN. 5-29!!!

Re: OT. Microswitch

#14

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: OT. Microswitch from Amazon

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Aren't you familiar with the saying: "Slow boat from China?" 8)

Re: OT. Microswitch

#15

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT. Microswitch from Amazon

Kneale Brownson

Didn't realize till I "tracked" the package on Amazon and learned it's coming via CHINA POST.

Re: OT. Microswitch

#16

Re: OT. Microswitch may be "Cherry" brand

Don Evans

You are talking about an "eponym".

But the opposite can happen also, think a second about an apple? Apple company foiled everyone buy making their brand from a common verb.

They do not have to worry about what has happen to Xerox and Kleenex.

Everybody I know will say "hand me a Kleenex" instead of: "hand me a facial tissue".

Now people don't want to use eponym and instead are using "generic verbalization" or something similar to that. Noun verse Verb.

But who really cares, right?

Don

Re: OT. Microswitch

#17

Re: OT. Microswitch may be "Cherry" brand

John K Jordan

Words are fascinating. The best I can find the term eponym used be the person or thing for whom or which something is or is believed to be named. (e.g. Merriam Webster). Popular usage has apparently caused a change from the source to the thing derived from the source and then more commonly to a generic name derived from a brand name.

I have a bobcat with John Deere on the side though Bobcat makes many things besides skid steers and John Deere was a real person. I guess the catchiest and easiest to say term wins. I also use a few sawzalls, made by Bosch and Dewalt. I hope Milwaukee isn't upset.

JKJ

Re: OT. Microswitch

#18

Re: OT. Microswitch may be "Cherry" brand

George Koch

After a lifetime of using a circular saw daily I still call it a "Skillsaw"! George

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.