WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

Posts

Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

#1

Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

We were in Asheville this week and made the stop at the Grovewood gallery. Mr. Skaggs is well represented there along with many other talented woodworkers. We scrutinized (someone else's) a round table with nice pie shaped inlay and a plastic finish. A thick finish on an open pore wood becomes bumpy as the surface tension of the liquid distorts the finish around the pores. When the finish is applied thick the result is what looks like severe orange peel. But even on a smooth surface of a closed pore wood, or a filled open pore wood, a thick layer of finish looks like a sheet of Plexiglas applied to the surface.

Some wrongfully attribute the plastic look to the finish composition, when in fact it is a result of finish thickness. One hears, "I am not using poly because I don't like that plastic look". Urethane varnish now days is prone to a plastic look because it is formulated too "thick" (high concentration of high viscosity solids) so that it can meet VOC regulations. It is impossible to apply it as a thin coat unless the finish is thinned with solvent. Applied thinned it can look the same as shellac or lacquer.

Consider thinning a solvent based finish as another variable in choosing and applying a finish. Of course experiment on test pieces. Chemistry experiments on furniture are to be avoided.

I have almost no experience with water borne finish, nor whether their thickness can be controlled by thinning.

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

#2

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Thanks for the drive-by plug. All of my work there is finished with lacquer, so getting a clear look is not hard. I have a table there that I finished the top with conversion varnish. I am by far no authority on finishing. Truth be told, I don't like finishing! But I have not used poly in years. It's often a go-to for many for table tops but I have had better results with conversion varnish. In fact, I made some tables for a friend's restaurant a few years ago and finished them with conversion varnish. Restaurants are punishing places for table tops but that varnish has held up well.

Hope you had a nice visit in Asheville.

T.

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

#3

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

jesse cloud

Good advice! Thanks.

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

#4

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

John K Jordan

Another thing that can make wood look exactly like plastic is a shiny finish of any type on jet black ebony!

Making turned boxes with threaded lids from ebony I had two people ask me where I bought those plastic lids. The lids have no finish but are simply polished.

Another time I make a (beautiful, if I say so myself!) magic wand from black gaboon ebony and polished the wood. It looked and felt like plastic! I took pumice and fine steel wool and cut back the shiny and fixed that problem.

JKJ

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

#5

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

John C Lucas

You simply have to finish the finish. I have used thick finishes in the past. If you take the time to level them with 600 grit paper and then polish the finsh back to its clear look it looks great. To me tbere is nothing worse than a thick uneven glossy finish. I was at a craft show not long ago.and a turner was there and all of his finishes were thick brush on who knows what. Looked like rap.

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

#6

Re: Avoiding the "plastic look" in finish

Don Stephan

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Given two well rubbed out gloss finishes on the same species of wood, one finish thick and one thin, some people will prefer the thick and some the thin. Like the original poster, I am in the latter group (although my waistline is not thin).

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.