WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- Pulling Wire

Posts

OT- Pulling Wire

#1

OT- Pulling Wire

Tom Norton

So I have a plastic conduit that goes from my house to my shop. I need to pull 3-#12 stranded wires through it. I will have a 1/8" nylon pull rope. Also I will be using wire lube.

But wondering about the "knot" or rope to wire connection.

Thoughts?

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#2

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

Keith Newton

I think I would use a rolling hitch, then bend the front end of the wires back over the hitch once it's cinched up tight if there is enough room.

A rolling hitch is a lot like a clove hitch but with one more time around, and this is what it is for.

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#3

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

Ed Wozniak-Buffalo, NY

Gizmos like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-1-2-in-Pulling-Grip-KPS050SEN/100662411 work like a charm if you can get one that is the right size for the number of wires that you are pulling. You insert the wires into the mesh and as you pull on the wire the mesh grips the wires. It's like magic.

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#4

Add some marls and...

Tom dunlap

...wrap the whole works with a neat spiral of electrical tape starting from the bottom. You could stagger cut the wires to make a more tapered pull

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#5

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

David Yoho

If you are pulling 3 pieces of something like #12 THHN, you shouldn't have a problem as long as there aren't any sharp bends in the plastic conduit. Certainly the lube will make it easier.

What I would do is gather the 3 wires at the one end and make one longer to create a loop, which I would tape with electrical tape together. Then tie your string with whatever knot you like to the loop and tape that too.

One trick you might think about is also pulling an additional piece of string with the wires to leave in the conduit for future needs.

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#6

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

John K Jordan

I do the staggered ends, leading wire bent over, wrapped in tape thing. Get a helper to straighten and feed the wires on the other end. If possible, I find it easier to lay out the entire wire length out on the ground to streamline the pull.

I realize that this is already in the ground, but when burying conduit I like to put in bigger than needed. For the 250' run to my shop I also buried a spare 2" conduit conduit run, empty except for a rope just in case.

JKJ

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#7

#12 wire seems pretty small

Dick Coers

Just curious why just 12 gage? You have looked at load and length of wire, right? I prefer to run a bigger wire and put in a sub box.

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#8

Re: #12 wire seems pretty small

Tom Norton

This is just to switch a coach lamp by the shop door from the house. I am abandoning the underground line because of a break somewhere. So I thought I would use the extra conduit I installed years ago when I ran the main power out to the shop.

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#9

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

Don Evans

Sounds like Chinese handcuffs, remember those, geez I'm getting old.

Don

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#10

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

Ed Wozniak-Buffalo, NY

I've never seen Chinese handcuffs but I have heard these pullers compared to Chinese handcuffs before. The comparison was made by someone younger than me so it must not be just an age thing.

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

#11

Re: OT- Pulling Wire

Don Evans

Chinese handcuff's were bamboo cut to long strips about 1/4" wide, then woven together to made a 1/2" cylinder with both ends open. You then compressed them and stick the index finger on each hand into the end of them.

Then when you try to pull each finger out they will grab your fingers and you cannot get out of them. Supposedly!

You can of course push both index finger toward each other holding the compression with thumb and middle finger and remove each index finger.

They were strictly a kids toy.

Don

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.