A month ago I posted pics of the brass grill my father soldered.
Here are close ups of the grill-I used a ROS to get this finish
Here are updated pictures of the door and case work.
I made some hardware that will be used for the door-An Art Deco Pull and four connector sets that will hold the glass, the brass grill and an out wooden frame.
The grill sits inside a lip on the front of the door.
A 3/16 thick sheet of glass covers the grill with a 1/8th inch overhang
The grill and glass are then covered by an outer frame with a recessed lip.
When turned over the from holds the glass in place tight to the grill.
The frame has through holes that cover matching holes in the door frame-Shop made brass connectors hold the entire assembly in place.
The shop made brass door pull.
I moved on to the overlay for the lower door panel.
Lower panel set inside the frame.
and additional molding will be added to the inside of the lower panel. The main frame work is complete with side panel inlays.
Re: Art Deco Brass Grill Bookcase update(pic heavy)
Umm Sandblasting? I like that idea-I think I might have access to one-I'll check it out. Art Deco design has a history of High Gloss finish- I was toying with a French polish but it seems a time consuming process and I've never done it. I'm thinking of General Finishes Gloss urethane then buff back as necessary--
Re: Art Deco Brass Grill Bookcase update(pic heavy)
polish is a huge learning curve. As your displayed wood is open-pore, pore filling would be the order-of-the-day if you're looking for a piano finish. Putting a high gloss finish on an open pore wood tends to create light-scattering surfaces which take away from the design elements. If you're not going to fill the pores, a satin or semi-gloss finish may give you the look you want. Once you put high gloss finish into open pores you can't control the glossy points of light until you fill them completely.
Alan, if you've never done a filled-pore finish, I'll point out that it's fairly easy to do on a table top, but a huge paine on other parts of the piece.
[that's "pain" with a pinky extended]
Re: Art Deco Brass Grill Bookcase update(pic heavy)
I have been wanting to say something about this creation; pondering just what to say. The creativity has left me speechless for a time. Finish broke the silence. I don't live with Art Deco, but this is a shape I like to look at. The finish could alter it substantially.
I am trying to imagine it finished. What I see is not different than what it looks like now. To that end something "close to the wood", ie thin. I find that a close to the wood finish can have more luster and still look like a thicker dulled finish.
Corrosion of brass will be a concern. We know that lacquer will keep brass bright. Other finishes could be a long term chemistry experiment.
With all the edges, applying gloss urethane and then rubbing out could be difficult. And, I am not sure how coat thick enough to rub out will appear. How about a few coats of thinned blond shellac, or lacquer to yield a close to the wood appearance (think Krenov appearance but with enough more build to be more durable)?
Re: Art Deco Brass Grill Bookcase update(pic heavy)
Hi Bill et all --I am not addressing the "finish" plans in this post---but this statement caught my attention --
"I don't live with Art Deco, but this is a shape I like to look at."
I gave some thought to that statement and realized that is what draws me to Art Deco lines-I have lived with it.. I grew up in Grand Forks, North Dakota- I lived in this house till I was 13 years old-
It was built @ 1932 and while it's overall form is maybe more Cape Cod in look- the arched doorway, front stairs and chimney have those AD lines.
The inside has even more AD details including those curved plaster transitions from the vertical walls to the ceiling.
A couple of blocks away from us was a house that resembled this Art Deco design.
As kids we thought it was a space aged house where the "Jetsons" lived Ha! The house was lost in the big 1997 flood but this picture is very close to what we saw growing up
A block away from the stucco house we grew up in was the Junior HS I attended-
Now a Senior Living center it was "South Junior High School for most of it's life.
Another Art Deco Structure in town when I was growing up was the UND "Winter Sports Center" where the University's Hockey team played-
A glorified Quonset that was terribly cold, it never the less was a magical place for a young lad.
By far the most influential Art Deco structure I encountered growing up was United Lutheran Church- A wonderful architectural Art Deco Specimen-
Notice this outer face- It's design is reflective of a large Pipe Organ- That organ is just behind this wall on the inside-
Here on the inside of that wall is the Choir loft and large Pipe Organ
I was always enamored with this beautiful sanctuary. Even the ceilings has a great Art Deco tiered or layered transition.
I still have dreams every now and then where I am hanging from those lights!
These were child hood influences- My first career out of college was in Radio - When I came to the University of Michigan stations we had floor monitors from the 1930's that looked like this
and here in Ann Arbor and Detroit one of the most noted Architects was Albert Kahn who designed many buildings in SE Michigan...
Perhaps his most famous building here is the Fisher Building in Detroit-
See many more pictures at the link----
So it's interesting to finally realize the Art Deco influences I've been walking around for years!