WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

The lowly dust pan

Posts

The lowly dust pan

#1

The lowly dust pan

Tom dunlap

Today was Stop in the Shop Day.

Too many projects in the pipeline which means too many tools and supplies out. A shop is all ahoo!

The last bit of cleanup is sweep up. The dustpan I have is a plastic/duct tape fiasco

There are some nice looking dust pans available. If I'm going to actually buy one I'd like to know it's durable. I've had metal ones in the past that got seven ent and would never pick up that last dribble. There were others that must have had tempered steel because they were flat and many years old judging from the acquired patina

What's your favorite?

Thanks

Tom

Re: The lowly dust pan

#2

Re: The lowly dust pan

AZ in Colorado Springs

I have a medium-wide plastic dust pan from the borg. I looked at the classic wide metal dust pan, but it's 3 times the price ... well, I went the less expensive route.

And the plastic model is lighter, so I scoop up debris as well as sweeping debris into the dust pan.

I often push debris from under the contractor TS into a pile and vacuum up the pile.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#3

My favorite is one that clips to the broom handle

Dick Coers

I have trouble either finding the broom or the dust pan. So I bought a set that has a system where the dust pan handle snaps over the broom handle. Now I either find them both, or find neither.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#4

Buy in multiples when choosing

Gary Smyth

This is mine, Metal, 12" wide. I have two for the shop. Gets close to the ground. Often use it with its twin as a clam shell to get large amounts of small scrap with dust. Great for digging out wet leaves trapped in corners too. Stood up for years. Got mine at the old Trend Lines when they were leaving the area.

Note: It doesn't mind hot metal shavings, cut offs, steel wool clogged with stripper or chemicals.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#5

Re: The lowly dust pan

Keith Newton

I was using an aluminum grain scoop or shovel, but have switched to a snow shovel. It has a wider flat blade that lays tighter against the floor.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#6

dual dust pans for an enriched life

John K Jordan

I keep two. One is a wide metal pan for serious cleanup on those occasions when I get serious with a big pile of shavings, undented, kept leaning up against the wall behind a lathe to minimize search time.

The other is easier to use - one of those dust pans with a handle sometimes called a "lobby" dustpan, smaller in capacity but easier to use, no bending or stooping required. It stays with the broom. I use this one far more than the big one. Type something like "dust pan with long handle" into Amazon for photos.

JKJ

Re: The lowly dust pan

#7

Kneale Brownson

Re: The lowly dust pan

Kneale Brownson

I use an old steel scoop shovel with a short handle. After shoveling as much of the pile as I can, I lean the handle against my waist and sweep the balance into the blade.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#8

Two here too

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have one of the large aluminum pans almost every woodwork supplier sells. And I have a conventional sized one made of robust sheet metal. No idea where it came from. But best of all is detaching the 5" hose from the saw and waving it in the general area of junk which is vacuumed up and deposited in the collection barrel.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#9

Shovel Too

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

I use a very old shovel. No stooping down. It's probably at least 50 years old and it will outlast me. T.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#10

Re: The lowly dust pan

Ralph Lipeles

I have an Aluminum dust pan. Extra large - about 15" wide. Large comfortable handle. I don't remember where I bought it.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#11

HarborFreight *LINK*

Hoa in Alameda

I have no less than 3 copies of it: one in the garage shop, two (probably three) somewhere in the backyard. I think two of them are aluminum, bought before they started selling only the steel version.


img

Super Wide Steel Dust Pan

Re: The lowly dust pan

#13

Joe Bradshaw

Re: yes, that's it.  Recommended

Joe Bradshaw

I like the yellow plastic one from Home Depot. It has a handle and will stand up on its own. It can be found in the cleaning supplies section.

Joe

Re: The lowly dust pan

#14

Re: HarborFreight

Tom dunlap

Thanks for the recommendation

I've got a 20% off coupon ready to go

Re: The lowly dust pan

#15

Re: ^^^ This

Hank Knight

Basic, simple, functional and virtually indestructible.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#16

My solution

Tom dunlap

After work...and snow shoveling...I spent some time in my shop.

I bought a Uhaul type box van/RV. There are some rotted spots in the flooring that I removed. The replacement flooring will be burr oak. I rough cut all of the pieces and made a sawdust mess. After sweeping into a pile I was going to grab one of

My crappy plastic dustpans for one last cleanup before going over to Harbor Freight to get a proper dustpan

Well, as I put the garbage bucket back along the wall I saw a potential dustpan. I'd taken the hinged top off my multi drawer toolbox. The top was next to

The scrap steel bucket. A few minutes of layout and cutting gave me a dustpan with about 2" sides. It passed the first test. If it works I'll put on a handle

Scavenging and repurposing is such fun! It saved me a trip to HT, spending $9 and a bit of recycling too

Re: The lowly dust pan

#17

Re: My solution

Barry Irby

Tom, If I knew how to post a picture you would see that I don't spend a lot of time cleaning my shop, but my solution does not involve a dust pan. I have my dust collector connected to most of my major tools, but I have several that I momentarily connect to a 4" hose. I have a piece of 4" S&D PVC pipe (Thin wall light weight) that fits right into the DC connector. I have the end cut off at something like a 45 degree angle and I use it as a giant shop vac. My shop is so small the ten foot hose with the "wand" will reach most of it. I have a short piece of hose I can add if I need to. Works well. If you are careful it does not have enough suction to pick up metal so I don't lose a lot of screws and tools up the hose. No sweeping, stirring up dust. Works for me.

The only drawback is the size of the wand somehow hurts my hands (arthritis?). Considering adding a handle or two to help with that. The pipe was cheap, probably lees than the dust an you were considering.

Re: The lowly dust pan

#18

Kiddie snow shovel

Pete in Holland MI

Been using a kiddie snow shovel for 11 years now. Fairly large shovel head, and has a handle so you don't have to get so close to the floor. Yea, they're light duty, but for shavings & saw dust, they work out well.

You guys in the southern states probably have no idea what I'm talking about : )

Pete

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.