WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

The sweet smell of mineral spirits

Posts

The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#1

The sweet smell of mineral spirits

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.





I love the smell of mineral spirits. It means the end is near for it is staining time. I used a mix of 12% linseed oil and 12% burnt umber pigment suspended in General Finishes conditioner. It was applied with a rubber as described before. A mere 1.5 oz of stain was sufficient to do the whole piece. For a darker stain use 20% pigment.

Tomorrow I will spray the varnish.

(picture note, something in the lighting makes the front look hazy)

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#2

PS

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I sort through a lot of lumber to pick pleasing grain for the drawers and minimize waste. The case top is not installed yet, BTW

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#3

Howjudodat....?

Barry Irby

Spectacular piece....Congratulations.

And, how did you do the pair of drawers in the second tier? Is that a single board? Are they bookmatched? Or is that just an excellent selection? However you did it, nice job.

Speaking of selection, that end panel is fabulous.

And another question. There is a darker mark in the top left drawer. I can't see it well in the picture, but a lot of my Virginia walnut has mark like that that look like insect staining vaguely similar to Ambrosia maple. I am curious about the marks?

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#4

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

Bruce, a MN Galoot

That is really nice, Bill. You have one lucky SIL.

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#5

Re: Howjudodat....?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

And, how did you do the pair of drawers in the second tier? Is that a single board? yes sawed at drawer division. same for top three too.

Speaking of selection, that end panel is fabulous. ....Of the several thousand bdft of walnut we sold over the years this is the only curly one we ever encountered. It was a mess and requited some experience to rescue something from it, described in an earlier post.

There is a darker mark in the top left drawer. I can't see it well in the picture, but a lot of my Virginia walnut has mark like that that look like insect staining ....not insect staining in this case. Just a darker grain in places.

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#6

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

Hank Knight

Bill, That is a spectacular piece! I love your selection for the side panels and the drawer fronts.

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#7

Wow. Awesome.


Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#8

Re: Beautiful work Bill!


Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#9

I Dunno Bill

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

I like what I see. But my problem is with the details at the bottom of the design. I would rethink the addition of the blue terry cloth, the protruding plywood and the wheels. They just seem to distract from the rest of the composition. But then again, it's maker's choice. But on a positive note, I do like everything above the frivolous blue fringe. T.

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#10

ebd

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

ebd

Absolutely Fabulous!!!

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#11

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

William Duffield

Magnificent!

I like the smell of mineral spirits, too, but I would suggest minimizing exposure to the chemicals they remove when refining the mineral spirits to odorless mineral spirits.

something…makes the front look hazy

Must be those double iron planes you use. :D

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#12

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

TomD

Masterpiece!

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#13

Absolutely Astounding

Ron in Sterling, CT

Hi Bill,

Another masterpiece. Thanks for the ride and sharing the build.

Ron

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#14

Drawer Pulls?

Clementine

Absolutely and inspiringly beautiful work. Have you selected a drawer pull? I found some at LV for a Stickley serving table and they made a BIG difference in appearance. Show us a completed picture.

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#15

spraying

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Having seen your shop, where do you spray?

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#16

On the topic of pulls

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Its recipient, with only pulling convenience a consideration, wants to put the equivalent of sneakers on a man in a 3 piece suit. There is a reason it is pulless so far. Ca. 1720 dangle pulls are what belongs on it but these are not handy on a piece used daily. So I don't know what it will wind up with. I should hold a contest with the winner getting 25 bdft of walnut.

Re: The sweet smell of mineral spirits

#17

Alan Young

Well Done!

Alan Young

The beast has been tamed! Structure,Style,Finish-Excellent.

-Alan

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.