WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

Posts

Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

#1

Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


I may be the last person to discover this sanding tip, but in case there is someone else I shall describe it. The problem is sanding intersecting elements like drawer dividers. Cross grain scratches are to be avoided. By dumb luck I found that if I turned the block so it was perpendicular to the divider it "magically" stopped when it hit the side. The drooping ends hit the case side preventing the block from scratching the side edge. This tip make quick work of sanding the front of the chest of drawers.

Re: Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

#2

Re: Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

ronster

I rely on the same sanding blocks, and occasionally do the same kind of work (though rarely as nice as your recent project). I have several of these blocks with the grit size markered on each. The approach you describe is trying to make a convex surface by sanding the edges a bit more deeply. Maybe not a big deal for my finest, last grit. Instead I orient the pad longways, start at the intersection, and push away from it. This too will produce a wee bit of convexity because the pads have a slight concavity under pressure. [less so oriented longways] If this concerns me, I use a scrap wood block instead and staple my sandpaper around it.

Re: Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

#3

Re: Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I anticipate a finish sanding of edges as show in the picture and prepare them with a hand plane before assembly. If any irregularity at the intersection needs to be tidied up I use a scraper. The amount of sanding I do does not round these edges perceptibly.

Re: Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

#4

Re: Sanding Tip-preventing cross grain scratches

William Duffield

Another useful technique, at the same joint: When making the final passes with your smoothing plane, skew the plane and when you get to the intersection, turn the corner. There are four different possible turns you could make. One of them will result in planing with the grain both on entering the intersection and leaving it.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.