WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Walnut or mahogany, termites?

Posts

Walnut or mahogany, termites?

#1

Walnut or mahogany, termites?

Barry Irby

My Aunt passed away. She had a night stand beside her bed. Antique. Marble top, dark brown wood. Her son wants it for sentimental reasons. They have discovered that termites got to it, Badly on one side. They want me to fix it. I have a IPhone picture the size of a credit card. They are debating whether it is walnut or mahogany. They will bring it to me in a month or so.

The termite eaten exposed corner it pinkish. I am voting for mahogany. I can't remember ever seeing termites in walnut and it would be brown. What's your assumption?

PS, What is the chemical you put on mahogany to turn it brown?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.