WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

Posts

Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

#1

Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

John Foster

I am still working on that heavy trestle table for my son, that I was seeking advice on earlier.

The table top is done and will go out to the wide-belt sander later this week. Finishing is getting nearer and I had some questions.

-This tabletop is made with common black ash, it has one small bark inclusion, a couple of knots ( small to medium sized )with radial drying cracks and a couple of edge defects between the glued up boards.

-I have seen tables done with Enviro-Tex Lite which does a nice job of filling in the major defects, however it leaves a very glossy and very thick looking finish on the rest of the table.

-We are looking for a good heavy duty finish, but without that very heavy look of the Enviro-Tex, and preferably with a lower gloss.

-Can I just fill the defects with a pour on product and then do a muoe traditional varnishing job over the whole surface?

-Are there other products or solutions out there?

Thanks

John

Re: Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

#2

Re: Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

Don Stephan

Any number of times I've used hardware store two part epoxies tinted with dry pigments for small and even medium defects. Epoxy creates heat as it cures so fill a larger hole in multiple steps. Quickwood epoxy sticks have also be used, faster but not tintable. Sand well after filling so there is no residue on the surface.

Re: Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

#3

Re: Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

YMMV, but I had a situation a few years ago when trimming my sons house. We were using White Oak with a light stain, and had a beautiful board with great grain, but with a fairly large missing knot in the middle. I decided to try something different so applied Black India ink to the missing area and filled the hole with clear epoxy! I then sanded it smooth, and applied the finish coats. My son and his wife both loved the appearance so we used the trim over a double wide entrance of the kitchen.

Re: Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

#4

Re: Finishing a Rustic Tabletop

paul in AZ

I've used two part epoxy to fill defects of all sizes many times.

It dries clear but can be colored with a small drop of whatever color stain you choose added when you mix from the A and B tubes. I've used German made universal colorants in either black or 'tobacco'. Forget the brand name.

Sands nicely. No finish troubles.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.