WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Fig wood food safe?

Posts

Fig wood food safe?

#1

Adam of Oakland

Fig wood food safe?

Adam of Oakland

Dear colleagues - A neighbor aggressively pruned a fig tree in their yard and I couldn't help but drive home with a few rounds for green wood carving.

I haven't found much detail on whether this wood is food-safe, however. I'd like to carve out a few spoons and the like.

thanks for any info you might have!

adam of oakland, ca, usa

Re: Fig wood food safe?

#2

Re: Fig wood food safe?

John K Jordan

How big are the pieces? I found this:

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/general-discussion/fig-tree-wood

JKJ

Re: Fig wood food safe?

#3

Is any wood not safe?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Is there any scientifically documented case of a dry wood not being safe for a spoon?

Re: Fig wood food safe?

#4

Adam of Oakland

Re: Is any wood not safe?

Adam of Oakland

Hi Bill - I do not know of any studies, though I'm curious what dryness would have to do with the issue: Is it that the reactive compounds in the wood break down after it's dried out?

The few anecdotal accounts that I've found out there lead me to believe that there might be some elevated concern regarding the milky sap that fig trees produce. the cuttings that I brought home are weeping this sap, and I got some of it on my hands/arms while handling. It did not affect me, though I cleaned up promptly as it was kind of messy.

Anyway, thank you Bill and thank you John for the finewoodworking.com link.

-Adam

Re: Fig wood food safe?

#5

What dryness has to do with the issue

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The time and temperature of drying can cause changes in the composition of extractive chemicals in wood. For example, I have seen no evidence that the potentially harmful component of walnut survives drying and I have practical evidence that it doesn't survive. Ditto for poison ivy. Both these active ingredients are readily oxidized and would be expected to oxidize on exposure. Hence, I would not conclude that wood that showed some biological effect when green would necessarily maintain this effect after drying. It was for this reason I worded the statement as I did.

Re: Fig wood food safe?

#6

Re: What dryness has to do with the issue

Roy Girolami

I seem to remember an article in FWW many years ago about a recorder made out of cocobolo. When the maker blew the first notes on it, his lips subsequently swelled up in an allergic reaction.

Roy

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.