WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New spray gun??

Posts

New spray gun??

#1

New spray gun??

Tom Norton

I have been thinking of picking up one of the very inexpensive HVLP detail guns for about $20-30. They all seem to come with only 1 needle and nozzle about a 1.0.

Thoughts?? And if you happen to have one tell me your experience.

Re: New spray gun??

#2

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: New spray gun??

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

I've had a couple of the 'cheapies,' (Harbor Freight) and they've performed reasonable well. The 0.8 or 1.0 nozzles will require thinning - perhaps excessively - any finish you put through them. The 1.0 will spray SealCoat shellac unmolested, but nearly anything else will require thinning.

I bought a much more expensive gravity feed gun (Grayco) with 1.0; 1.2; and 1.5 mm tips, and have found that nearly all the Target EM series waterborne finishes shoot very well with the 1.2 tip - right out of the can, unthinned. Pigmented finishes generally need the 1.5mm tip.

Re: New spray gun??

#3

Re: New spray gun??

Don Stephan

I would strongly suggest you discuss equipment needs with the manufacturer of the spray products you expect to use, before making any purchase. When I was spraying water borne products I think the only needle/nozzle size I used was 1.5.

Re: New spray gun??

#4

Re: New spray gun??

john in lutz

When I am trying to get color match I do a lot of spraying tint I which I make with 2 lb shellac and transtent dye. I spray this either with an air brush or 1.0 nozzle on a touch up gun. For finishes I use a small gun with a 1.5 nozzle.

Re: New spray gun??

#5

Need More

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Tom,

Just sticking an alleged "HVLP" gun on the end of your air hose will not assure you of good results. "HV" means high volume. Although I'm presently working on an article on this subject for Ellis, I'll point out that what you've not mentioned is the CFM output of your compressor. The turbine units (Fuji, Apollo, etc) move far more air (110 to 150 CFM) at 9-10 psi as opposed to compressors guns that use higher pressure and make do with far less air to atomize the finish liquids. Proper atomization is the key to getting a good sprayed finish film

Most conversion guns (high pressure compressed air converted to low pressure at the tip) require a compressor putting out more than 9 cfm at something like 25-30 psi; the "LP" a/k/a low pressure, side of the title. A small nail gun unit won't do the job as it lacks the volume of air output. There is, however, a new class of guns denominated as LVLP that are designed for use with lower volume compressors. Last I looked, they weren't cheapos.

The tip you mention, 1.0, will work for solvent clears, shellac and N/C lacquer, but it will fall down trying to atomize waterborne finishes, and outright fail with pigmented coatings. Heavier reactive finishes like oil polyurethane will will have a tough time flowing out as the droplets may not be uniform. Waterborne finishes like General Enduro and Target's stuff will work nicely through a 1.2/1.3 tip, but heavier bodied pigmenteds will need a 1.5 or 1.7 orifice to give acceptable results.

Most worthwhile guns come as a kit with a range of needles and air caps from 0.8 up to 1.7 or 2.0, depending.

Share some more regarding your air source to get better answers.

Re: New spray gun??

#6

Re: Need More

Tom Norton

My compressor is a 30 gallon Sears unit. I have used it with my other HVLP guns with different finishes with great results. Just wanted to play with one of these cheap units.

Re: New spray gun??

#7

Re: More

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

gotcha. As said, it may do OK for thin clears like shellac and lacquer. Test the fan with water on cardboard to check atomization, especially at the widest points. Most waterbornes I have used allow thinning up to 20% water.

I have a mini gun (CAT Tech Jr.) that is great for small work, but it's not cheap and comes with 3 needle and orifice sets.

Good luck

Re: New spray gun??

#8

Re: Need More

ken combs

What you say is true, but don't lose sight of the fact that the discussion is about a detail gun. The small nozzle is more than adequate for most all finishes because the fan is so small. Doesn't take a lot of paint to cover 4-6 inches, nor a lot of air to break it up.

I have two of the little HF detail guns, several of the HF 'purple' guns and a Devilbiss G520. The G520 is an air hog but lays any finish on superbly. The HF are of course less good with hgher viscosity finishes but the little ones will handle even automotive paints well, as long as I don't try to cover a wide fan pattern.

They are great for finishing smaller items and don't use nearly as much air as the others. I've used them with my smaller 20gal job sie compressor successfully. The G520 requires my 5HP/80Gal!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.