WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Making Chalkboards

Posts

Making Chalkboards

#1

Making Chalkboards

Don Stephan

A couple times I have made chalkboards, and they never have held chalk as well as school blackboards. The first time several decades ago I used an aerosol can of chalkboard paint, a few years ago I purchased over the Internet a specialty chalkboard pain in pints. I'm using 1/2" diameter large chalk, but can't make a solid chalk line. If using just a portion of the circumference I get a pretty solid line, but a lot of wasted dust, and for a sidewalk sign board a narrow line can't be easily read by passing motorists. If I use the entire diameter, I get a wide but very light chalk line, again one that passing motorists can't easily read.

With the pint of specialty paint I purchased a white 1/4" thick plastic board product that was recommended by the paint manufacturer. Can't remember what I tried with the aerosol an decades ago but probably 1/4" MDF.

Last spring on the recommendation of a neighboring business I tried a Magic Marker like product that I think advertised itself as a liquid chalk I think, but it is recommended for a special very expensive board the manufacturer also sells, and was near impossible to wash off the chalkboard I had made.

Re: Making Chalkboards

#2

Slate?


Re: Making Chalkboards

#3

For yourself or for kids?

Dick Coers

If for shop notes or household reminders, white boards are far superior. If for kids to use and not have access to markers, I use chalkboard paint on tempered hardboard. I use a small diameter foam roller to apply an even coat.

Re: Making Chalkboards

#4

Surplus Chalkboards

Tom dunlap

I've seen real school chalkboards at Habitat Reuse stores as well as office surplus stores. Priced at dimes tonthe dollar too

Watch your local Freecycle page too

Re: Making Chalkboards

#5

Re: Making Chalkboards

Don Stephan

Apologies for not being clear. I am using the more recent chalkboards (using paint in pint cans) in A frames I carry out to the sidewalk every morning to communicate with the thousands of passing motorists in a 35 MPH zone.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.