WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What is this plastic stuff?

Posts

What is this plastic stuff?

#1

What is this plastic stuff?

Joe in a Cleveland suburb

Can anybody tell me what type of plastic is shown in the below pics and where I might be able to buy some?

I don't think it's UHMW, but I don't know.

I only need a couple small pieces to replace.

Thanks in advance.

Cabinet saw fence


Cabinet saw fence


Bandsaw fence


Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#2

It is UHMW

Dick Coers

Rockler and Woodcraft both sell it.

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#3

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

Mark

I am thinking its nylon similar to the buttons used for chair leg sliders.

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#4

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

Joe in a Cleveland suburb

The thick stuff on the saw fence I think is UHMW. It's much thicker and also harder.

The smaller pieces are a bit softer plastic and has a tiny bit of compressionability to it (my made up word....).

I need to replace the bit on the bandsaw fence I lost a few years ago that goes on the cam lock down mechanism.

I've tried all sorts of stuff from wood to foam pieces. Nothing works quit right.

TIA

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#5

Do you have a IKEA nearby?

Gary Smyth

I found something that looks like it at IKEA. In my store there are three places to look: Kitchen cabinets and counters, Kitchen accessories, and office furniture (these spaces are separated by floors and the meandering path). Stock changes so rapidly that it is a crap shoot as to what you might find, and you may have to adapt if you do, but the price will be right and the inexpensive Swedish meatball lunch won't hurt.

i

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#6

Here is a source I use for any plastics need *LINK*

Keith Newton

There are 17 locations. If your lucky they may let you buy some scraps.


https://www.copeplastics.com/product-inventories.html

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#7

Re: Here is a source I use for any plastics need

Barry Irby

I looked on E-Replacementparts.com and found at least three variations of the Beismeyer fence that listed similar parts. Might be worth ordering some just to see if you can make them work.

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#8

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

Most likely it is nylon. UHMW cannot be molded that is why it is usually sold as sheets or extrusions. Those glide pads appear have molded buttons on the back.

You could have someone machine UHMW to make similar pieces.

The cam lock on my Beismeyer fence uses a piece of formica as the bearing surface for the cam. I don't think it needs compressability.

Lee

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#9

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

It is impossible to tell the composition of a piece of plastic from looking at a picture. But you might get a clue from what it needs to do. Nylon is harder and tougher and much higher melting point than UHMW polyethylene. Also it is less apt to deform under load. It is easy to tell them apart by burning a small bit. Each has a characteristic odor. Burn some nylon rope to get calibrated. I have no idea what the part does that is shown in the picture but the physical property requirements might not be demanding such that anything would do.

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

#10

Re: What is this plastic stuff?

Mike Cutler

It could be teflon, but I also think it's nylon. The bigger pieces are UHMW, smaller pieces that slide could be teflon, snd the one your missing could be nylon.

I lost that part many years ago. I put a piece of plastic on to with double sided sticky tape and then I insert some 400 grit sandpaper between the fence and pad to stop it from slipping.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.