WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Better Late Than Never

Posts

Better Late Than Never

#1

Better Late Than Never

David Yoho

Roughly 15 years ago I ran an extension line from my compressor to two locations in my shop thinking I would need / use them. One drop with a fitting was next to the walk-out door and the other at my bench area. I never really used them much, especially after installing a hose reel.

At that time I didn't know better but eventually became aware of the danger PVC pipe is. Today I finally disconnected it and removed it from my shop. Talk about playing with fire!!

Re: Better Late Than Never

#2

Way Better - Good Move David!


Re: Better Late Than Never

#3

Re: Better Lucky than Good!

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Glad you did remove that, as rigid plastic can turn into shrapnel

pretty quickly. For those that want to use plastic lines, there are many plastics made expressly for ail lines today. I used many of the flexible plastic air lines on equipment in my job prior to my retirement. These are quite safe as the failure mode is just splitting or having a hole wear through where they rub something. They will not explode like the PVC or CPVC material.

In my industry we used Black pipe for main lines and used rubber or plastic for "drop" or extension lines.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.