WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New Router!!!

Posts

New Router!!!

#1

New Router!!!

Tom Norton

Heard about this yesterday.

https://shapertools.com

Re: New Router!!!

#2

They are finally shipping?

Dick Coers

That thing is been talked about for at least a couple of years. I'd have to see one in person to get excited. So far not a fan of having to tape up the projects to establish the cutting field.

Re: New Router!!!

#3

Gulp !

ian neuhaus

$1899 plus shipping

Re: New Router!!!

#4

And

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

it's still a hand-held router.

I thought the whole CNC thing took the human operator, shaky hands and all, out of the mix in favor of machine precision.

Maybe I'm missing something

(but not $1900. That I'll keep hold of.)

Re: New Router!!!

#5

Re: And

ian neuhaus

The idea is that this "router" can compensate for the operator's "shaky hands".

It might have a place in a small shop which doesn't want to invest in a $20,000+ CNC to work with full 4 x 8 sheets of board material.

Re: New Router!!!

#6

Re: New Router!!!

TomD

I couldn't google it up, but there is a router that is a cnc. It has 6 wheels, and is tethered to a reference pole, but otherwise just walks itself around the cut. The big 4x8 machines cost a fortune and take up a lot of room. This thing is the size of a router on steroids, but way smaller than gantry machine.

I think there is another one that just wheels around, but may have greater difficulty staying perfectly on track due to wheel slip.

Re: New Router!!!

#7

When I win the lottery.

john lucas

that's pretty cool but obviously out of reach for most people. Heck I've bought several cars for less than that.

Re: New Router!!!

#9

The shallow depth of cut concerns me

Dick Coers

Any video of that one I've seen shows them taking really shallow cuts. Just letting a router drive itself around on top of a $100 sheet of plywood scares the hell out of me!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.