WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

Posts

Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

#1

Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

Barry Irby

Bill, You mentioned the price of Cherry had collapsed. What do you think the rice is now and where can I buy some? I have some, but it is central VA cherry and loaded with defects. I spend a lot of time sorting and cutting around the defects. I particularly would like to have some 8/4 and maybe thicker.

Re: Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

#2

Re: Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry *LINK*

David Yoho

Barry, you might try the place I've been using for years. They carry most domestic hardwoods in various thickness. For me it's about a 50 minute drive up I-64 but I don't mind going when I need a batch of wood.

These are the folks Woodcraft gets their stuff from locally and they are in Troy, VA. I go there because it's cheaper than buying from Woodcraft and I usually need more than they stock in the store. They have a retail shed outside loaded with lumber and they do most of the kiln drying for the other locations there.

Check the website link for details and directions -


Northland Forest Products

Re: Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

#3

Re: Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I can get FAS1F grade of cherry for less than $3 bdft. I have said the following many times.....Everywhere in the US, and probably the world, has places that sell hardwood lumber to the trades. Find out where the cabinet shops buy and go there for the best price......but you may need to act like you know about buying lumber and buy by grade. If you want the luxury of picking lumber by the piece you will pay for this opportunity. I once picked 2 pidly pieces of 8/4 ash from a pack at such a place in Atlanta for the same price per bdft as a 1000bdft pack would cost. But I complimented the owner on his lumber shed, apologized profusely for bothering him with such a pidly request, and restacked the remains of a 1000bdft pack that someone had discombobulated. I was complimented on the tidy result and rewarded with a wholesale price.

Retail customers buying small quantities are typically not worth the bother at the places that sell to the trades. But if you approach such places with a humble attitude and are willing to buy the way their large customers buy, you can be rewarded with the same price that large customers pay. Taking along pictures of a fine pieces of furniture you made will be helpful.

Re: Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

#4

Re: Question for Bill Tindall, price of Cherry

Yonak

Bill, I wonder if this guy in Atlanta is Stephen Brown in Gainesville. He's a really good guy and has quite a good selection.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.