WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

gluing sinks in

Posts

gluing sinks in

#1

gluing sinks in

mike mcnerney

I've got a situation where I am trying to get every usable inch out of some cabinets, and I would like to not have to use the typical clamps to hold the sink down. They recommend a 36" cabinet but the part you see on the top is 33" and the bowls underneath are about 31.5. So I would like to make a 33.5" cabinet (32 inside) & glue the sink down. BTW it's a wood butcher block counter & yes I did try & talk the customer out of wood around the sink...but that's what she wants. I may have to notch the side gable a bit for the part you usually use for the hook. Peoples opinions please

MM

Re: gluing sinks in

#2

plumbing ?

ian neuhaus

is there enough room inside the 32" wide cabinet for installation of the plumbing ?

Both drainage and water supply, including any "fancy" stuff like a spray nozzle, water filter, boiling water supply, etc?

The plumber will really like your work if they can't reach / tighten any bench hardware.

Re: gluing sinks in

#3

Re: plumbing ?

Barry Irby

I have done similar things a few times.

An easy (for you) fix is to go to a single bowl sink. Or some other sink that will fit.

Another thought, if there is a cabinet on both sides, you can cut away part of the end of the sink cabinet to give you room to work on the bottom side. I did one where I cutway about ten or twelve inches of the tops of the sides of the sink cabinet and then about four inches of the cabinet on each side to be able to get to the clamps to tighten them. Just be careful to respect the drawer hardware on both sides.

Also, assuming the butcher block is 1 1/2" thick, double check the sink hardware to see if it will accommodate the thickness. I had to route a rebate into the bottom side to let the clamps work.

And, seal the edges of the butcher block, particularly the end grain, extremely well. Eventually water finds it's way under the sink and soaks into the end grain and ruins the appearance around the sink. This is something they will never realize you did, but will curse you if you don't.

Re: gluing sinks in

#4

Re: plumbing ?

mike mcnerney

thanks Ian & Barry, The customer has already decided on the sink. I am considering the things you suggested. No drawers either side to deal with & I plan to make the sink cutout before the top goes off to the finish. Urethane from spain is all the rage in Ottawa

cheerio

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.