WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New (to me) use for Domino

Posts

New (to me) use for Domino

#1

New (to me) use for Domino

Barry Irby

I recently got a 500 Domino. I ahve by no means figured out all the things it's good for, but this new to me.

I am building little trays for jewelry boxes. 1/4" thick cherry with mitered corners. Wanted to reinforce the corners. My spline jig is hiding, probably under the giant pile of scraps. With the 4mm bit in the Domino, I cut slots for splines into the corners. Just lined it up at a 45 by eye and plunged it as deep as it will go. It just abrely cut trhough to the inside and that provided a release for the glue. Inserted the dominos and trimmed them off. You get nice little splines with rounded ends/corners. Slick and quick.

Re: New (to me) use for Domino

#2

Re: New (to me) use for Domino

jesse cloud

Cool!

Another use sorta like that is joining utility (not FWW) drawers. They come together in nothing flat and are very strong.

Google "domidrawers"

Re: New (to me) use for Domino

#3

Made some of those too....

Barry Irby

Built a hall table for a friend. She wanted two drawers in it. It was a narrow table and I had to really squeeze to get ten inch drawers in it. Used full extension rails. The dominos did a good job in thin stock. Looked good and appeared to be very strong. And it was quick.

Re: New (to me) use for Domino

#4

Re: New (to me) use for Domino

TomD in Toronto

If you could foxwedge the domidrawers you would really have something. Those side tenons are how some Japanese work is done, without the rounded ends.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.