WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Posts

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#1

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis E Peacock

20 Nov 2017

Good Morning Everyone,

I've been sick since Friday morning so my weekend has been taking meds, sleeping, drinking hot bullion, and more sleep. I feel terrible but I believe I'm on the mend. Today, my youngest son starts a new parttime job and my hopes and prayers are that he sticks with this one for a good long while. :)

I'll start this a little early in case I forget between now and Thursday...

H a p p y . . . T h a n k s g i v i n g . . . T o . . . Y o u . . . A l l !

My hope for each of you is good health, prosperity, love, and great times with family.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis Peacock

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#2

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

John K Jordan

>>>H a p p y . . . T h a n k s g i v i n g . . . T o . . . Y o u . . . A l l ! My hope for each of you is good health, prosperity, love, and great times with family.



...And safety and sanity in these insane times!

I certainly hope you are well recovered and very soon.

I did a crash preparation for sunday lesson for about 70 kids, a last minute cover for the person scheduled. All went well.

Farm care couldn't stop so youngest grandson was here to help me!



JKJ

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#3

Finally fixed a persistant plumbing drip...

John in NM

We installed a tub fixture in a house we're remodeling about a month ago, and getting the connections to quit dripping has been a really long battle. On the 5th try I've finally got it in a non-leaking state.

The really annoying thing about this is getting caught in between two manufacturers making incorrect assumptions - the fixture manufacturer used a straight pipe thread on the female side, which I have seen before. I always assumed that this provides the installer with a bit more leeway if they have to crank the fitting another half turn to get things lined up. The manufacturer assumes that the mating fitting will be made to spec.

The trouble came with the male fittings and my dislike for mixing steel and brass/copper parts. After many tries with different pipe dopes I finally broke out the vernier and discovered that all the brass and copper male threaded parts were undersized by about 0.02", whereas steel was about 0.01" oversize. The manufacturer assumes that you'll be threading these in to a tapered hole, and that no one will care that they are a hair under.

So I ended up using some steel parts. Less than ideal, but better than a leak!

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#4

Re: Finally fixed a persistant plumbing drip...

Barry Irby

I also fixed a persistent leak. Did not know it, but my guest bath toilet has apparently been leaking at the was ring for a LONG time. I bought a wax ring and fresh bolts. Got two little step stools and took the toilet out. The bolts were rusted all to H. (I agree with you a but steel and Plumbing.) Used my multitool to saw the nuts off. Lifted the toilet onto the two stools. The plan was to reach up under and clean off the remnants of the was ring without tipping the toilet over and spilling the remaining water. There was nearly nothing left of the wax ring except a pile of rust. (I agree with you a but steel and Plumbing.) Spent about half and hour cleaning up that mess. Went back to the store and bought a split ring repair kit and a plastic spacer ring and six stainless steel screws. Fiddled and fiddled but finally got the new ring in place. Reinstalled the toilet. Only to discover the filler valve was leaking. Back to the store....should have known. This twenty minute job took two hours.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#5

On the bright side....

John in NM

At least it sounds like you got it before the floor dry rotted too! :D

If you have Netflix, have a look at "Canada's Worst Handyman". Both seasons I've seen now they have contestants reaching down drains to clear up the mess they made through exuberant demolition :D

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#6

Re: On the bright side....

Barry Irby

I was shocked at the condition of the ring and very pleased the floor had not rotted. I think the reason was the vinyl flooring was perfectly fitted to the pipe before the ring was installed. Apparently the leak was very small for a long time. I had a recent visit from my sons and granddaughters and the bathroom got a lot of use. Without them here it gets almost none.

I don't have Netflix, but I may get it. I very occasionally watch First Time Flippers. I can't stand it. They smash everything with sledge hammers. Having flipped about ten houses, it makes no sense. Take the stuff out in one piece, not fifty, and throw it in the dumpster or recycle it.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.