WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Jigsaw purchase???

Posts

Jigsaw purchase???

#1

Jigsaw purchase???

Tom dunlap

Time to buy a decent jig saw

In the past I haven't used one very often. That tells me that the price/convenience of cordless goes right to corded

My Dad had a Craftsman saber saw where the sawhead would rotate in relationship to the motor. That was really convenient when working near an edge

Any suggestions about features or brands?

Maybe someone has one for sale?

Thanks

Tom

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#2

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

Mike Farinella

Corded?, Bosch

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#3

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

Jerry Nicholson

Love my Bosch Aggressor (corded). Hated my Craftsman with the rotating blade holder - the thing bent every blade I tried to use. 50 plus years ago I bought a really nice little chrome plated Black & Decker. I used it so long that it finally chewed up its gears and by that time parts weren't available any more. It was far superior to B&D's offerings today.

Jerry

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#4

Another vote for corded Bosch.

Jim Dillon

I've had mine for probably 20 years and it is still going strong. Use it mostly for breaking down long boards prior to jointing, planing etc. I have the model with a "D" handle, but it also comes without a handle. Jim

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#5

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Years ago I bought a Porter Cable 7548 jig. Came will variable speed and adjustable orbital blade action. I'll cut 1/8" steel and 2" hardwood (with the right blade, of course). Only drawbacks are it's a fixed 90° cut (no tilt base), and no dust collection.

Great tool if you can find one.

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#6

Jack Guzman from Maine

Bosch

Jack Guzman from Maine

I've had mine for 20 years. Used hard for general carpentry. Cut out alot of sink holes with it among other things. I love it. I have the handleless barrel grip version.---Jack

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#7

Me, too

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I’m always surprised how good that saw is.

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#8

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

John in NM

I used several Bosch saws at work 20 years ago, liked them just fine (they were barrel grip). Bought a Festool shortly after and liked it too. It got stolen after a couple years, and I finally bought another maybe 3-4 years ago. I give the Bosch and Festool about even marks for cut quality and power, Bosch has the edge on price, Festool has it on dust collection.

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#9

I love my Bosch barrel-grip but

Howard in Toronto

I've had my Bosch barrel-grip jigsaw 18 years. It's bullet-proof and has almost zero vibration. I'd buy the current version without a second thought if I ever needed to replace it.

But I was helping a friend of mine last week. I used the Makita 4329 he bought at Home Depot and I was totally impressed. Surprisingly low vibration and perfectly fine power.

If you have the flexibility for the Bosch's price, go for it. You will not be disappointed. But if you wanted to watch your dollars, I'd suggest taking a good look at that Makita. You might be very surprised by how happy you will be with it.

Howard

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#10

Re: I love my Bosch barrel-grip but

TomD in Toronto

I've had my Bosch Jigsaw for almost 30 years, late 80s I would guess. It is the model where you need the screwdriver, a special one, to change the blade. I have made them on the jobsite that it hit me I didn't have the driver to change the blade.

Love mine, they have changed many times since I got mine. I would buy another right quick if they are still as good today.

I love the barrel grip. My hand is 7.6" from wrist to longest finger tip. Not too large. But my wife who is 2/5ths my weight can also handle it. She struggles a little but then the D grip is no picnic either unless you are always cutting off a table. Probably half the time I am using it the way a kid uses scissors to cut out a paper doll, so the barrel is the only way for me. I have a far better connection, which I think will help anyone even if they are working more "safely".

Re: Jigsaw purchase???

#11

Makita (and Craftsman)

John K Jordan

>>>My Dad had a Craftsman saber saw where the sawhead would rotate in relationship to the motor. That was really convenient when working near an edge. Any suggestions about features or brands? Maybe someone has one for sale?


I bought the Makita 4350 when I started on building my shop a few years ago and used it a lot then and since then, both on the bench and overhead cutting light and receptacle openings in my shop's plywood ceiling. While I usually prefer Bosch tools when I researched jigsaws it got high marks. It is a little more expensive than the Bosch models but not too much.

Nearly 50 years ago I inherited one of those Craftsman saws with the rotating head (which may hint at how old it is). It is quite useful in some situations. I've never had a problem using it. However, with both the Makita and a miniature "sawzall" I don't use the it any more. I assume by "maybe someone has one for sale" you mean a more modern saw, but if for some reason you want the old Craftsman you can have it. (I might even remember where I put it!)

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.