WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sweet dream or nightmare

Posts

Sweet dream or nightmare

#1

Sweet dream or nightmare

Gary Smyth

After nearly a decade I rediscovered my missing Emmert vise. It was right where I put it before covering it with a tarp and placing stuff up to, over, and around it.

Anyway, now what to do? It weighs a good 60 lbs or more. I'm guessing. It's big! Approximately 18 1/2 wide and 26" front to back. I don't know the model, (K1?). I see one snapped cast part (long gone) and at least one missing dog pin. I'm not aware of available or aftermarket parts, it will be a big job. I'm not sure I'm up to it even though lots of sources say that the value is there. Restored this could be of value in my work as well as when I break up the shop to whoever comes after, but is it better left in the corner, selling its parts, or trying to make it whole? I've done a vise before but not something like this.

I checked the Emmert "Iron Hand" site. That site only make me more confused. Anyone ever restored one of these monsters? Was it worth the effort for the actual work value (NOT bragging value) ?

Did I say that this is a monster?


Re: Sweet dream or nightmare

#2

update

Gary Smyth

I'm now informed it is a T-5. And weighs 86 lbs. not 60 lbs. as previously guessed.

Re: Sweet dream or nightmare

#3

Re: Sweet dream or nightmare

Mark

There is a YouTube channel called Hand Tool Rescue. I believe he is in Saskatchewan, Canada . He might take the project on for you if interested. I dont know if he takes projects.

He does some amazing , old, antique, totally rusted tool restorations .

Check out his channel in any case. Its entertaining, some great old tools brought back to life , and it might give you some inspiration or ideas.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.