WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

Posts

Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#1

Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

Barry Irby

I mentioned recently about being at the age where I should start to purge and throw out as much of my junk as possible to save my kids the effort. So I have been Casting the evil eye on stuff and putting it in the truck to take it to the dump or recycling. An air compressor I bought in 1972 was in the shed. Can't remember why it got demoted and cast aside and it has a broken wheel. Into the truck it went. Been sitting there for a few days while the load accumulates.

Today my Air compressor died. Determined it was the pressure switch. After much consideration, I took the switch off the one in the truck and installed it on the other one. A bit of a struggle, but I got it and it works fine. They were both Sears compressors and the Part numbers were very similar. The specs were identical. Back in business.

So, this is why I'm a pack rat. Sometimes it pays off.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#2

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I’ve found that machines and hand tools respond quite well to threats of being replaced or discarded :D

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#3

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

Tom dunlap

I'm with Bruce!

Dentists have to love us Pack Rats after we slip to the Dark Side and become Purgers. The teeth grinding and fists to the the head the day AFTER 'that thing' is tossed or recycled...grrrr!

There is a possible Purge moment coming for me. It's easy in the house terrible in the shop

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#4

No need to get rid of anything

John K Jordan

Simply get more storage buildings.

JKJ

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#5

The stuff expands to fill the space allotted.


Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#6

Re: I have found...

Hank Knight

I have found that an immediate and critical use for whatever I just threw away becomes apparent the day after the garbage collector hauls it off. Some of these discards have been hanging around for years; and, invariably, I need it urgently the week after I decide to discard it.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#7

same here

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I don't get rid of anything I have a place to store.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#8

I tricked them....

Barry Irby

Them being the gremlins that cause the need to arise just after you dispose of something. The compressor was in the truck to go away. Another day or two and it would have been gone. I think the gremlins thought it was gone. It had been rained on for about a week. Maybe that was close enough. Now I fear I am for a double dose.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#9

Get someone else in to clean your shop.

John Foster

I know from experience that it takes days for me to do a complete clean, purge, organize of my shop.

This summer, I helped my brother-in-law get ready for his daughter's wedding. Bad weather had really set him behind schedule. He needed his shop cleaned out so that it could be a prep area for the caterers. I was amazed how little time it took me.

- does this stay or go?...decided.

- where does this go?...decided

- is it okay to put this outside?... decided

- can I merge these boxes?...decided

It looked beautiful in a couple of hours. If I did anything seriously wrong, he has never mentioned it.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#10

The Walmart solution

Henry Higginbotham

Around here, it seems there's always a Walmart or Lowe's or such moving to a bigger or better location, leaving a perfect storage building available. At 60,000 to 125,000 square feet, it might take me up to three years to fill one.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#11

Always happens

Mark Hennebury

It doesn't seem to matter what i do;

if i throw it out i will need it.

if i keep it i wont be able to find it.

If i buy a new one, i will find the old one.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#12

I "have" lots of stuff.....

Barry Irby

I'm just waiting for some of it to reappear.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#13

He's just so happy....

Barry Irby

to get that daughter married off, He may never look in the shop again.

Caterers would not stage in my shop if you threw EVERYTHING away. Not without professional cleaning, paint and new floors.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#14

organized saving does pay off

Tom dunlap

I e picked up several four drawer file cabinets. One with lateral drawers. That one holds cut down square buckets nicely for sorting.

One drawer in the typical file cabinets has several large coffee containers filled with small or large hinges, patches, door knobs etc. There is a theme here

I do cat in a tree rescues besides being an arborist. Onnthe last rescue the cat squirmed out of my gloved hand while I was trying to close the door of the carrier that I hauled into the tree. It flew downnsliding off flexible branches and hit the deck...60' flight. It was ok and I even got a generous tip

On the way home I thought of building a trap door on the carrier sonthe cat can't get away. While I was doing the windshield engineering on the drive home I remembered a pair of small spring loaded hinges in a coffee can. Sure enough they were there. I think that I got them in a box of stuff at a garage sale 20-25 years ago. Saved me the trip to the store and probably $10. The rest of the carrier was made from scraps in the shop

I tested it using my two cats. It worked, and Patch and Bandit scowled at me

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#15

Re: organized saving does pay off

Jim Dillon

Good for you regarding cat rescue. Getting a contrary cat into a carrier can be a challenge on the ground let alone 60 feet in the air. I still have the scars to show for my effort trying to crate a feral cat. Your trap door idea is intriguing. Jim

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#16

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

Brian Holcombe

I like my shop to be super tidy, it helps me to feel good and clear headed. I have storage behind doors and know where everything is. Every few months I toss everything piling up. Can’t say I’ve regretted doing so as I usually can’t even remember what it was that is now gone.

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#17

Re: same here

Garthinsandiego

I've found that this pretty much covers my philosophy:


Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#18

Re: Cats in trees

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Dunno, only rescue I made was about 65 years ago, climber a big tall oak tree when I was about 12. Caught the cat, got scratched all to HeXX. Brought it down safely and released it, day or two later darn thing was back in just about the same spot. After pondering the situation, i realized I had never (and still haven't) seen a cat skeleton in a tree. So let the darn cat come down the same way he went up. I have one time seen one spend the night in a tree, but always gone the next day!

Re: Pack rat VS Cleaning purge

#19

Re: Cats in trees

Tom Dunlap

A friend of mine in Chicago took down a huge silver maple with a hollow trunk. When they got the top down he looked down in the hollow trunk and saw bones. Kinda scary. They stopped and told the client...they had wondered what had happened to their dog so many ears ago...true story, not Twilight Zone

When I do any cat resuce I use a glove that i buddy showed me. Thick welding glove to start. Then theres a sleeve attached with the large open end up by my chest. I grab the cat I then flip the sleeve inside out, like a pillow cas, and the ct calms down.

Touch wood...my noggin...I've never been bitten scratched or worst...sprayed!

Got paid $500 one time for an easy rescue with a friendly cat...shoot...treework doesn't pay THAT weel!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.