At age 68 & working 48 years with wood my hands are weak & sore most of the time. What are people doing not only to make them feel good at the end of the day, but are there any strategies to actually heal or strengthen them...?
I am also 68 and have worked with my hands a lot. I am getting some pains. I have a rubber balls about the size of a tennis ball in my car and i sometimes exercise them while I drive.
I have one painful toe. Seems odd to me, but when it acts up I message it a little and bend it as far as it will go with my hands and in both directions, like stretching it. Definitely helps and is not as painful as it sounds.
I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Two pills a day. My doctor scoffed, saying that any benefits were completely unproven/ non existent, but OTOH, it was as good a pain reliever as Tylenol and with no known side effects.
Doubt it would help my hands, but I am trying to convince myself to lose 25Lbs. I did it a few years ago but it has crept back on.
I have arthritis in my hands. I (like Barry) take the supplements and also I take Naproxen (Aleve).
As far as exercise, my hands probably get enough of that w/ woodworking.
For me, my big problem is ganglionic cysts. If the problem gets worse (which it hasn't so far) - I will go to the hand surgeon and he (or she) will shave off the bone spurs from the arthritis. I am resisting that notion.
I'm almost 68. For now I don't have problems with weak hands but I do get cramps and soreness, mostly after gripping small things too long. The worst for me is sanding at the lathe since I sand mostly by hand with the lathe off.
But first, have you seen to a doctor about this? Seems it would be important to see if they can find any specific problem before starting on a self-treatment program. About 20 years ago I had horrible hand problems with pain and dexterity and some numbness. The doctor checked for arthritis and other things but it turned out to be a problem with nerves from an elbow issue, confirmed by a neurologist. A physical therapist showed me some things to help. One was increasing the size of handles with foam sleeves. Also recommended were finger, hand and wrist exercises. And the rubber ball - I used to carry one and use it many times a day. They had special balls the right size and with just the right amount of resistance.
Those problems are long gone but I deal now with the cramping and soreness. What helps me the most is stretching with breaks. I stretch all fingers outwards and hold, repeat. I stretch and flex each finger one at a time. Press all fingers together with both hands. Massage each hand with the opposing thumb.
Another thing which might be worth a try for sore hands. I used to "warm" up for piano playing by soak both hands in a sink of hot water for a few minutes. This worked wonders! (especially in the winter) I haven't tried it in the shop since I don't have hot water but remembering it just now I think I'll walk up to the house and try this the next time my hands cramp.
thanks to all. Yu have given me some things I hadn't considered. I am seeing a massage 'genuine' therapist who is helping me with my back & is going to start on my hands. I am very curious about the nerve thing & will try & pursue that.
I've been using Voltarin (Diclofenac Sodium) topical gel, given to me by my physician with some positive result. It is a topical NSAID, and being topical you don't get the systemic problems that some folks get with oral NSAIDs.
Like you, my hands have been tools that I used and abused for decades. The damage of arthritis is not reversible, but it can be mitigated. There are several things I do that each in its own way helps.
I wear tight fitting gloves when I am doing something that involves vibration or shock, such as chainsawing or hammering.
I take meloxicam, a prescription strength NSAID that helps.
The biggest game changer has been the use of CBD oil. I get mine from this place. Spend the money for good stuff, not cheap crap from China.
I was helped enormously by physical (working on muscles, etc) and occupational (finding workarounds for problem activities) therapies. There are lots of exercises to improve flexibility and strength. There are lots of gadgets and techniques to make difficult activities easier.
My treatment was highly effective and exceeded my expectations given the amount of damage to my hand from an accident.
The treatment used neither medication nor massage.
I have a number of exercises I do daily while driving or watching tv that help a lot, both in terms of relieving pain and increasing strength and flexibility.
Discuss with your doctor and ask him if he would refer you for physical therapy.
I agree with your reluctance to have surgery. Any surgery will leave scar tissue, which makes the problem worse, so try other things first!
I suffer from a trigger finger that can be very painful. Last time I saw the doctor he said there were options that ranged from nothing to surgery. His recommendation was Emu Oil. I had never heard of the stuff but did a little Google research and then bought a jar. It has help. I don't know if it is the actual oil or the benefit of regular massage the oil in but it has certainly helped.
I have had that a few times before. First time I had surgery - that worked but left an ugly scar. Next few times the doc gave me a shot that had to be placed in the tendon sheath - hurt like hell while he was doing it, but it worked and the problem went away.
Have you determined that your problem is not aggravated by carpel tunnel issues? If it is, the surgery to correct carpel tunnel problems is quick, easy and an instant, complete cure. It's done on an outpatient basis and recovery takes about a week to ten days. If not addressed, carpel tunnel syndrome can become serious and result in a permanent, uncorrectable disability.