WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

Posts

Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

#1

Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

Barry Irby

A few years ago I spotted a local Abrasives company near Petersburg, VA off the side of I-95. I went there and bought about fifty sanding belts for my 4 x 24 portable belt sander. They make them in house. Put them on the shelf for future use. They have the butt joint taped with the stranded tape and are bidirectional. Used a few and they were good. Five years goes by and I try one. It exploded on contact. Second, third, and fourth did the same thing. As soon as you touch it down on the work piece the seam fails and the belt shreds itself.

Today I call them and their answer was, "Sir, those are over 4 years old or more based on your account having been purged, and they only last about a year."

I basically figured that's what they would say. I have heard the rumor of the early death before.

OTOH, when I was kid I had a Craftsman belt sander the same size and some of the belts got shoved in the back of a drawer. They are the old style that will only run in one direction. They are completely worn out, but will still run. About fifty years old.

I declaring BS.

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

#2

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

Dave's Not Here

Rant away however I've always operated under the premise that you should never buy more sanding belts at one time then you can use up in a year.

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

#3

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

Steve jenkins

Your old belt probably had a skived lap joint. Different glue than is used on taped joints. I’ve had the same problem with taped joints. Haven’t seen a skived lap in years.

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

#4

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

Barry Irby

I agree with both of you.

But, somehow a "new" technology that dramatically shortens the life of the product is questionable. Perhaps they should put the shelf life on the packaging.

This is part of the new "silo" effect on businesses. Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Lets force the customer to buy new belts sooner.

My work habits change. Sometimes I use a lot of belts and sometimes they sit for a long time. I also aquired a benchtop sander that took over part of the portable unit's duties.

Along the way, this same company offered to make a conveyor belt for my Performax. Glad I did not go that route. I definitely expect that belt to last more than a year.

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

#5

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

Dick Coers

We had a lot of bumping with the old seam belts, so they weren't a treat either. I suspect the tape splice gained manufacturing favor with less time in the process and then better feedback on smooth operation. But I strongly agree with an expected life date on the box. I'd also like to see a source for buying small rolls of that tape so we could repair. Barry, see if they will sell you a couple feet of tape.

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

#6

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

Barry Irby

I actually called them, left a message, and they called me back at an awkward moment. So I didn't really have an opportunity to discuss the situation to them.

I feel they let me down. They knew I was stocking up and even though it was a small order for them, it was a fairly large one for me and that I expected at least some of the less popular belts to last a long time. That was their opportunity to point out the short shelf life.

It did not pay to be frugal and buy in bulk and stock up.

When I was struggling with the belt on my Performax failing They suggested they had no way to repair it. My belt was coming apart from left to right. It worked for a long time slowly getting worse and worse. I tried gluing it myself without much hope and it did not help or even seem to slow it down.

In this case, they could have offered something. A repair, or maybe a partial replacement or a discount on a future purchase? As it stands, I will not be buying anything else from them or supporting them in anyway. They do not get my thumbs up or any recommendation.

Re: Sanding belt Rant/shopping local

#7

is re-taping the joint an option?

ian neuhaus

If it is, then it becomes a matter of balance.

Does re-taping a 3 or 5 year old belt bought as part of a bulk order cost more or less than buying the belts as you need them?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.