WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- vehicle brake question??

Posts

OT- vehicle brake question??

#1

OT- vehicle brake question??

Tom Norton

My saga continues on my wife's car. I redid the the brakes all around. New rotors and pads. I have done this job before on our vehicles without a hitch. But I am get a"thumping,," noise from the driver's side front. Not a pulsing like a warped rotor. Also it appears when making a left turn not right.

It is driving me crazy. I checked the backing plates and they are not rubbing.

So any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#2

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

Mark Nowicki

Did you tighten and torque everything?

To change the rotors you had to take off the caliper brackets. On my Dodge the torque for those is over 90 pounds.

The pads fit OK? Did you replace the stainless clips on the caliper brackets?

I would redo the left front. Sounds like something is flopping around.

If everything checks out , switch the tires and see if the noise moves to the other side.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#3

Front wheel drive?

Dick Coers

Did you really clean off the rotors? I use lacquer thinner to cut the grease off new ones, I was taught to use brake cleaner but I don't keep that around. If there is a little oil on the pads now, they might be grabby. Might also just be the CV joint. Did you look it over when you had the wheel off?

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#4

If FWD, check CV joint -typical symptom


Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#5

Re: If FWD, check CV joint -typical symptom

Tom Norton

Bill, funny you mentioned the CV joint! I had that fleeting thought last night while driving home trying again to figure out the noise.

I checked a few sites and they make mention of a "clicking" sound not a " thumping".

Maybe the answer is getting closer!!

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#6

Re: If FWD, check CV joint -typical symptom

Matt

Do you feel/hear the thumping only when applying brake pressure or does it show up when simply moving/turning? When parked and you apply the brakes, do you hear it as well?

Make/model of car? Issues with CV joints usually progrees from a slight noise and get worse over time, which seems different than what you are describing.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#7

Re: If FWD, check CV joint -typical symptom

Tom Norton

The "thumping" noise only appears when applying the brakes and when making a slight left turn even without the brakes being applied. No sound when at a standstill.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#8

Re: If FWD, check CV joint -typical symptom

Matt

Could be a bunch of possible causes directly relating to your brakes, or coincidently something else in that general area. For instance a suspension part like a shock or strut.

Going on the assumption it's realted to your recent brake work:

- Make sure the rotor is being properly held against the hub, usually the wheel and lug nuts provide this but some vehicles also use small machine screws

- Re-check the bolts that hold the caliper bracket

- Check the pinions that allow the cliper to slide on the bracket and make sure they move smoothly

- Check the brake pads for correct placement within the cliper and are not binding

- Make sure no tools were left by accident attached to the car...

I like to use a good brake grease to lubricate the moving parts and where metal meets metal. It is debatedable in some circles if petroluem based "grease" is safe for rubber brake parts, so be careful with the grease or you can aquire silicone based "grease".

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#9

Re: If FWD, check CV joint -typical symptom

Tom Norton

Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I will go through everything again and do a recheck.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#10

Re: If FWD, check CV joint -typical symptom

Tony - Memphis

My old VW used to start clicking as soon as cold weather hit! I was told that the grease got hard and was less effective in the cold weather? The boot was in pretty bad shape. I never fixed it....just kept rolling. Can't kill those things.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#11

Re: OT-check the calipers

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

If you haven't check the brake calipers. I have had them fail to fully return on more than one occasion. If you didn't change them it is possible the caliper is not letting the brake shoes return to the open position and causing the shoes to rub the rotor when the car is turned. I have also had the rubber brake line cause the same problem (twice) on older cars. Apparently a "flap" of rubber comes loose and works like a one way valve, I had the brakes rub the rotor for a time after I applied the brakes. In fact I had a local shop diagnose a brake problem as the caliper, I had them change the caliper, they drove the van out of the shop and the brake line caused the brakes to lock up!

They did remove the caliper and changed it back to the old one then replaced the line, the line cost more than the caliper!

Re: OT- vehicle brake question??

#12

Re: OT-check the calipers

Tom Norton

Thanks Larry. I will check it along with everything else!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.