WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Posts

Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#1

Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Barry Irby

On each of the two chests of drawers I made for my granddaughters there are three small shallow drawers for jewelry.

Where can I get some ideas on how to line the drawers and make/buy/install fittings for jewelry?

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#2

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Ron Pemberton

I got some green felt from hoppy lobby I lined my wife's jewelry drawers with.

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#3

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Gary Smyth

One source is Rio Grande. 1-800-545-6566 or riogrande.com. They are jewelry suppliers for jewelry makers They have display items and ring tray inserts and slotted ring boxes. I've used them successfully over the years. I have no idea if there are minimum orders nowadays, so ask.

Also check out Store Supply Warehouse and look up slotted ring organizer or tray. You will get some additional information.

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#4

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Dick Coers

I cut 1/8" hardboard about 1/16" undersized overall. Then cut, wrap, and hot glue fabric store felt to the hardboard. All the glueing is done on the underside. For bottom lining, I add a piece of thin quilt batting under the felt. By cutting the hardboard pretty close, it's a nice sliding fit and easily stays in place.

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#5

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

paul in AZ

My favorite is suede leather.

Try an upholstery shop to get remnants of the leather. Usually inexpensive and they have scrap bags with all sorts of colors.

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#6

Alan Young

Hardboard/Felt or Flocking

Alan Young

I used Dick's method on a pair of drawers for this game table- very efficient


but depending on the size of the boxes you might consider flocking the boxes-the 1/8 hardboard and felt starts to consume space--

I used flocking for the smaller drawers on a chess ensemble-


messier than the felt and hard board but doesn't start to consume space--


Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#7

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Hank Knight

Lee Valley's Hardware Catalog has a good selection of jewelry box hardware and related stuff.

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#8

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

del schisler

here is what i have used for yrs and it works very well the link will post in the open also http://www.flockit.com/

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#9

johannaj

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

johannaj

I made my own using Pacific Silvercloth because most of my jewelry is silver. Pacific Silvercloth prevents silver from tarnishing.

I wrapped the cloth around cardboard for the drawer bottoms. For ring/earring drawer I wrapped silvercloth around tubes of foam.


Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#10

Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Tom Colligan

Nice work, Joanna.

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#11

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

Barry Irby

That is nice work. I am looking for some cardboard for the bottoms. I looked at scraps of Laminate like Formica, but it does not seem to lay flat. I have 1/8" plywood and may use that.

I am scheming on secret compartments but have not worked it out.

I went to Michaels for dark blue velvet, but all they had was black. I will try Jo-Anns today. And I will see if they have card board. Michaels did not.

I will also try to find foam tubes. How about Backer rod from the weatherstripping department?

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

#13

Re: Jewelry box Interior fitments question?

CJ in MPLS

The video below describes how padded interiors are installed in gift boxes. I found this when looking for examples of french fitting such that that found in the boxes that hold older drafting tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuzBKzUQw8

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.