Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
Posts
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#2Sure
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
whenever I can.
Unfortunately it's getting harder all the time. Local guys may stock an item but often rely on just-in-time ordering from a supplier, so the item is not there for touchy-feelie shopping. In that situation finding out you don't care for the item when you go back or other returns get to be a hassle for the local guy. More than once I've had a local tell me to go to Amazon or some other on-line seller but come to him for service.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#3Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
John C Lucas
I try but in my small.town you simply cant buy the things i use.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#4Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
AZ in Colorado Springs
As others said, yes and no. Timberwolf band saw blades -- you can get them locally but they're a lot cheaper from Suffolk machinery. I like Klingspor abrasives and the only place I think they're available is from them. So, some items get ordered.
Ut seems most things are cheaper online, as well.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#5Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
John K Jordan
I prefer to when I can. I purchase all of my farm supplies and animal feed at the local co-op even though I can order much of it a little cheaper - I'd like to see them stay in business for purely selfish reasons (sometime I need it today, tomorrow would be a problem)
A local shop makes Lenox bandsaw blades so they get my business.
Special tools and materials (metal stock, etc.) are very difficult to find locally so I order them. I've had special wood shipped from across the country when I couldn't get it around here. And half the time I go into Staples for office supplies they tell me to order from their website - they seem to carry fewer useful things and more fluff these days.
JKJ
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#6Depends on your def. of "local"
Mark Nowicki
I consider the Home Depot and Walmart in my part of town as "local"
"Local" vs. "spend a day and drive across town to save a couple of bucks on wiper blades" - local.
"Local, I don't have it but I can order it for you" vs. "I have this thing called the Internet at home"- not local.
"Local, I have it, but I don't accept credit cards or bank cards because banks are evil and let me tell you about my grandchildren" vs. " Drive to Ottawa, take the wife out for dinner, spend the night, go to LeeValley, fill out their form with enough personal information to get a marriage licence, and then change my mind and not buy what I thought I needed ."- drive to Ottawa.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#7Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
John Foster
I try to when I can, and I buy very little online or in the nearby city ( 2hrs. from Toronto).
Fortunately I live in an area with a large Mennonite and Amish population. Whether in small town shops or on-farm shops; I can get produce, meat, lumber, sawmilling, bird seed, welding, machining, fine furniture, fabric etc. etc.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#8
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
JL
We purchase the vast majority of our vegetables and fruits locally from the farmer's market (now closed for the season). Now that fall and winter are approaching, we'll be hitting the grocery store.
The wood I purchase comes from a nearby lumber yard or a local sawyer.
Tools and supplies - not so much.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#9Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
Hank Knight
We are fortunate to have a very well stocked woodworkers machinery and supply store in town. It started 30-40 years ago as a contractors supply but has gradually added serious woodworking machines and related items for the professional and the hobbyist. A couple of years ago they added an in-house Rockler dealership. They don't carry high-end hand tools, but they've got just about everything else covered, from machines to power hand tools, router and drill bits, dust collection equipment, hardware, finishes, abrasives, glue and related items. Several years ago they started an in-house hardwood business and they carry a lot of domestic and imported hardwoods. They have some nice stuff, but the prices are high. I still purchase my hardwood lumber elsewhere. For other day-to-day household items, clothing etc., we shop locally and seldom need to purchase online or from out-of-town suppliers.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#10Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
Don Stephan
With so many mentions of "buying from Amazon" and more generally "buying on the Internet", it suggests that neighborhood retail, and entrepreneurship will go the way of the buggy whip. And the jobs and career development that are part of them. And then, colleges and maybe even post-junior high education. Why waste so much time getting an education that's not needed for picking items and boxing in a warehouse. Sigh.
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#11Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
Barry Irby
Amazon has a huge fulfillment center about three miles from my house. Is that shopping local?
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
#12
Re: Anyone "Shop Local" Anymore?
ebd
I try to shop local as much as I can. Some things are just not available. Some things locally are too much higher in price for me to stomach.
I used to be able to get exotic wood locally at Curtis Lumber. Now what they carry is so limited and pricey that I can't shop there anymore. Nor can I order it online. I hate the idea of not being able to pick the sticks myself. And in order to get wood from West Penn (I'd trust them to pick according to my specs) you have to order a minimum of 10 board feet. Not an option, especially at the price for exotics. And even they have cut way back on varieties they carry.
So I'll just use up the stock I have then stop using anything that I can't harvest myself. That's local.