WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Jet Air cleaner questions....

Posts

Jet Air cleaner questions....

#1

Jet Air cleaner questions....

Barry Irby

Someone gave me a Jet Air cleaner. AFS-1000B, 1000 CFM AIR FILTRATION SYSTEM, 3-SPEED, WITH REMOTE CONTROL Except I don't have the remote.

A couple of questions. Is it worth the effort of mounting it? And can I operate it without a remote? Say, plug it into the lighting circuit and just let it run when the lights are on?

(Perhaps I should drag it out and see if it operates at all?)

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#2

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

David Yoho

eReplacementParts.com lists the remote for $30 if you need one.

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#3

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

John K Jordan

I think mine is the same model. I can turn it on and off and change the speed with the buttons on the front. It would be a reach if mounted high. I don't see a way to set the timer without the remote.

I turned it on then unplugged and replugged and it did not come on again so you might not be able to switch the power to the cord.

Just get it out, see if it runs, and see if you can operate it. I suspect you can get a replacement remote.

JKJ

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#4

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

Don Stephan

"Jet afs 1000b manual" in search engine and download/print the manual.

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#5

I have good news....

Barry Irby

I dragged it out of the shed and into the shop. In the process found the remote. The batteries were dead, but I had replacements. Plugged the unit in and it runs. With and without the remote. Now I just need the external filter, the flat one, and I need to get it mounted on the ceiling.

If you hear of a short overweight old man crushed by an air cleaner it might have been me. Time to round up some friends.

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#6

Kneale Brownson

Rent a drywall lift?


Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#7

Bicycle lift *LINK*

Dick Coers

Do you have a Harbor Freight near by? I put up a bicycle lift for my daughter. It has a braking system on it, but also a wall bracket to wrap the rope. The thing was actually pretty nice, all steel, lots of mounting holes, and only cost $10. Easier install and it would provide for easier service and keep you off a ladder in the future.


https://www.harborfreight.com/bicycle-lift-95803.html

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#8

We have success....

Barry Irby

I set up a temporary "scaffold" and put it up. Two 2x4's screwed into the top of the door frame and 2 2x2's to the floor. Then I put the unit on top of my planer and then on top of my head and shoved it into place. I had screwed two 2x4's to the ceiling and I screwed the unit to them.

While I was out I bought filters for it and a plug adapter to let me plug it into the light circuit. I am disappointed the unit will not come back on automatically after turning the lights off and back on. (This is because the people who designed the circuitry in the unit are so much smarter than those of us who use these things. NOT)

I only ran it for a minute or two before I left for a meeting. I purposely blew a little dust into the air and watched it float up to the machine. Looked like an excellent addition tot he shop. I have another one that I made out of a furnace blower. They are in opposite corners of the shop so maybe I'll get a nice circular circulation.

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#9

modify it

John K Jordan

>>>(This is because the people who designed the circuitry in the unit are so much smarter than those of us who use these things. NOT)

You know, a smart guy like yourself could modify the circuitry to make it come on when the power is applied. Since a "soft" switch turns the motor on I'm guessing it could be done with a power-up trigger pulse delayed by a simple 555 timer chip. Having it come on in the same state (motor speed) as when it was turned off would be a bit more effort, perhaps most easily done with a microcontroller like the Arduino sensing the state, saving it, then restoring it with the proper electronic button presses. While you're at it, maybe trigger the time delay feature when the lights are turned off so it can run for a while when you leave in case you left any dust floating around.

Or just rip out the controller and hard wire the motor to a single speed. Trivial.

Jet could have built more features into the original unit but at increased design cost and maybe hardware cost.

JKJ

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#10

Wud he say?

Barry Irby

I have no idea what you were trying to tell me. It would be faster for me to take it down, drive it to your house and have you do it than to try to do it myself.

I will have to get into the habit of turning it on with the lights.

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#11

Re: Yabbut…

William Duffield

…You don't learn any new skills while driving 13 hours or so, whereas you would learn something very valuable while programming, designing, building and installing the electronics.

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#12

Re: You don't account for ...

Hank Knight

William, I hear you , but you don't account for the total, abject, debilitating frustration us neanderthals experience every time we dive into hi tec electronics.

Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#13

It's just logic...


Re: Jet Air cleaner questions....

#14

Re: You don't account for ...

William Duffield

Many years ago, I worked for a company that built supervisory control systems, with imbedded software systems. One of the programmers who worked with me used to say "If you can see it, I don't work on it. That stuff's got amps and volts running around inside it, and it can kill you."

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.