WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Need nail gun advise

Posts

Need nail gun advise

#1

Need nail gun advise

Philip Duffy

What to buy? My need is varied from short brads to 1.5in nails. Any recommendations appreciated. Philip

Re: Need nail gun advise

#2

Re: Need nail gun advise

William Duffield

Sorry, Phillip, but your question is about as open ended as "I want to buy a hand plane." :) What do you want to use it for, and how much use do you think you might get out of it? I have six: ranging in fastener size from a 23 gauge headless pinner, through a 1/4" stapler, 18 gauge brad nailer, 15 gauge finish nailer, coiled roofing nailer, to a framing nailer. Brand names include Hitachi, Porter-Cable, DeWalt and Freeman, but there are also other quality brands, including Grex and Senco for subsets of your potential applications. The good news is you are not going to need to buy a humongous compressor to operate them. The one you have is sufficient.

Re: Need nail gun advise

#3

Re: Need nail gun advise

DocJim

Philip,

Take a look at the new battery powered nailers from DeWalt. Pricey but I am really impressed with many of the line of 20V tools that I have bought so far.

Re: Need nail gun advise

#4

Re: Need nail gun advise

Philip Duffy

Thanks to all. I thought I could just use one, a nailer of finish size to hold various boards in place until the bigger screws could be used. Or, in some cases, double up on holding power to the wood glue. Phil

Re: Need nail gun advise

#5

A Small Note

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

When I started down the Nail Gun Highway I was advised to buy oil-free guns for woodworking to prevent oil mist and drips from staining the wood. Bought a Senco Finish Pro 25 brad gun and Bostich slant finish gun. Both have been excellent and worth the extra money.

As I do very little with applied trim on furniture I haven't added a pinner so I don't need to "put a nail in it 'till the glue dries." ;)

Re: Need nail gun advise

#6

get an 18ga bradder

ian neuhaus

I thought I could just use one, a nailer of finish size to hold various boards in place until the bigger screws could be used. Or, in some cases, double up on holding power to the wood glue.

In that case, I suggest an 18ga brad nailer.

Some models can shoot a brad 2-1/8" long which should be good enough for your hold in place till bigger screws can be used

Re: Need nail gun advise

#7

Re: get an 18ga bradder

Philip Duffy

Thanks, All, for the good advise. 18ga nailer arrives today! Phil

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.