WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

Posts

lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

#1

lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

Howard Pollack

I have an older Robland jointer-planer. The planer table moves up and down, supported by a large central column, driven by an acme thread. It is becoming squeeky and a bit rough when I move it, clearly needing lubrication. The question is what is the appropriate lubricant for the acme thread? I'm concerned that using a grease like Lubriplate will get the thread gunked up with sawdust. Do folks have other suggestions for this purpose? Thanks.

-Howard

Re: lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

#2

Re:  lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions pleas

Barry Irby

Graphite dust might work.

There are several lubes out there that will work, but for the life of me I can't think of the names.

OTOH, Avoid anything that has silicone in it. A very small amount will ruin some types of finishes.

Re: lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

#3

Re:  lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions pleas *LINK*

Jim Dillon

Howard, I've had luck with this stuff. And it works in an environment up to 842 degrees F! - just in case you work in Arizona. 8). Wear gloves as it is quite hard to get off your hands. Jim


LPS Dry Moly Lubricant

Re: lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

#4

Kneale Brownson

Re:  lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions pleas

Kneale Brownson

I've had success lubing Acme threads by spraying them with TopCote, but I see it has become ridiculously expensive. Bicycle chain lubricant would be my next suggestion.

Re: lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

#5

paste wax

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I took a Delta maintenance class years ago and paste wax was recommended, Johnsons for example. works for me

Re: lubricating jointer-planer, suggestions please

#6

Thanks everyone!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.