WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Soldering a Brass Grill

Posts

Soldering a Brass Grill

#1

Alan Young

Soldering a Brass Grill

Alan Young

I am working on Art Deco Bookcase with a Brass Grill.

Here is the piece I am working on.


This week my wife and and I took the door frame and the brass pieces for the grill on a road trip from Michigan to see my Dad-Roland Young and his shop in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Dad just turned 89 a couple of weeks ago--Dad made a special jig to hold the pieces in place and he did all the Silver Soldering of this grill . We had a great time working together on this project.

Fabrication began with the main carcass framing including the door. Then I moved on to the brass grill for the upper portion of the door. I started by cutting 1/4 inch brass stock to slightly longer lengths.


Then I bent one piece around an 8" round piece of plywood. This began the arched section of the grill. It would later get bent around smaller radi.


At this point I took the door frame and the brass on a road trip to my Dad-Roland Young and his shop in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Here are pictures of the process-Including a band saw he modified with a pivoting fence to cut the strange angles need for the brass. He also made a special jig to hold the pieces in place for most of the Silver soldering.


Dad retrofit this small band saw with a pivoting fence so we could cut the various angles required for these brass pieces.


Here is a 45 degree cut for one of the outside pieces.


The first outside pieces were silver soldered on Dad's welding bench.


Then we moved to a special jig Dad designed and built to clamp and solder the main four outside grill sections to a rectangle form.





After soldering the main rectangle-we moved to the arch at the bottom of the grill. After bending the brass around a plywood form We found the perfect radius was the cast cap to CO2 tank for Dad 's mig welder. We bent the brass to this tighter radius. (No pictures) then placed the arch in the milling machine to mill the ends flat


We clamped the arch in the jig and Dad soldered it in place.


From there we cut, clamped and soldered the rest of the pieces one at a time



When we got to the point of soldering close joints on the arch-we clamped aluminum close to the joints to act as a heat sink so previous joints wouldn't possibly seperate.


The last two pieces were soldered with the grill clamped back on Dad's bench.




After Dad completed the soldering I filed and sanded the joints and created a form fitting molding to hold it in the main door frame.


We had a great time working together and I have a new design element to ponder for future projects.

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#2

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

John E in SC

Fantastic story and pictures! Enjoy working with your Dad every chance you get. Trust me on that.

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#3

Very neat!  Thanks!


Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#4

Great writeup - Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

Henry (Raleigh NC)

Thanks Alan.

Fantastic to see how you do this sort of work - your brass and other metal work sets your work apart.

I have no experience with this and your write up made the process quite clear.

Also great to be able to work with your Dad like that.

THanks

Henry

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#5

Sensational

Howard in Toronto

You are very lucky to be able to work with your dad on projects like this. Especially since he's so skilled at it, too! Great looking project. Thank you for sharing your info and these pics.

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#6

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

John C Lucas

What a wonderful project. Great experience to share with your dad. He must be a pretty good.machinist.

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#7

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

Hank Knight

Alan, thanks for the wonderful write-up and photos. Looks like you and your dad nailed the grill. It's beautiful.

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#8

Question

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

1st. that was a fun read.....

I have some silver soldering of stainless steel I would like to do but thought I needed a torch to do it as the melting point of silver solder is much higher than lead solder. Dad was able to heat those large thermal mass pieces with a bottle of something....what?

Imagine the nice mortises one could make with a milling machine.

Did you consider brazing as the resulting color of the weld would have been the same?

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#9

Alan Young

Re: Question

Alan Young

Dad was able to heat those large thermal mass pieces with a bottle of something....what?



He used propane-but my brother brought over a tank of "Mapp Gas"


thinking it might be helpfult for our application-(MAPP gas is also used in combustion with air for brazing and soldering, where it has a slight advantage over competing propane fuel due to its higher combustion temperature of 2,020 °C (3,670 °F) in air.) As it turned out the brass/silver solder heat exchange worked for us.

Did you consider brazing as the resulting color of the weld would have been the same?

I first asked Dad about braising-He siad he had only done braising with brass to steel and suggested we try the silver solder-first. I am OK with the the difference in tone of the SS/Brass- It filed/sanded out well and I kind of like the visual- I'll take close up shots later of the project...

Imagine the nice mortises one could make with a milling machine.

As I have used a Bridgeport on the Day Job for the last 20 years-I have always been amused by the efforts put into router/mortising jigs etc by we "woodworkers" ..I have at time brought my WW pieces in just to used the Milling Machine!

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#10

Alan Young

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill *LINK*

Alan Young

Great experience to share with your dad. He must be a pretty good.machinist.

Thanks John- Dad is an exceptional tradesman. He ran a tool and Die/Manufacturing shop with his brother in the late 60's early 70's. When they were putting an addition on the shop he decided they needed a better way to hang the drywall that a pair of 2x4 T's

This was one of his early models:


He refined the design and had it patented


It was further refined over the years and is now manufactured in several models-


Two of my Brothers run the Business with Dad where they continue to design and manufacture a wide variety of products---


Telpro Inc

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

#11

Re: Soldering a Brass Grill

Bruce, a MN Galoot

That machine should qualify him for sainthood!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.