WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Tablesaw mishap

Posts

Tablesaw mishap

#1

Tablesaw mishap

James Runchey

Can't believe it actually happened to me, thought I was immune. I'm ripping some boards on the tablesaw for my daughter, very late in the day, I'm very tired. on the last cut, and somehow I nicked my thumb on the sawblade as it is running down. Luckily it is not a serious cut,just a deep scratch on my thumb.

I'm not a newcomer to the tablesaw, having owned one since 1960. I guess it can happen to anyone....take heed!

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#2

Re: Tablesaw mishap

AZ in Colorado Springs

Yes, exactly: it can happen to anyone.

Thanks for the reminder to think about what I'm doing.

Glad you were not seriously injured.

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#3

Re: Tablesaw mishap

Bruce Mack

Than you for reminding me that I'm not as mindful or proficient when Im tired. I'm glad it was no worse for you.

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#4

Re: Tablesaw mishap

John K Jordan

Yikes. So glad it was a scratch instead of worse.

I'm usually alert except in the morning - the other day I almost poured my coffee into the cereal bowl. I've made it a policy and habit to not operate anything more dangerous than a pocket knife until after my farm chores.

In 1968 I knicked my thumb on a huge bandsaw working at the Berea College woodcrafts. I asked for non-power machinery morning tasks until my brain engaged.

Thank you for posting this - a reminder for everyone.

JKJ

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#5

Re: Tablesaw mishap

Barry Irby

Glad you weren't worse. You have been warned. Take heed.

To me the key is that you were tired. We should know when to quit. I was working one night, tired, and in a hurry to make one last cut. As the saw was slowing down for the change in setup, I saw my own had, as if it belonged to somebody else, reaching out to pinch the blade to stop it. I was stunned. Did not actually touch it. Turned the lights out and left. Not qualified at that moment.

Thanks again and don't work when tired.

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#6

Amen

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

....someone else's close call gets my attention. Thanks. I was hurt some with a woodworking accident. Same situation-fatigue leading to lack of attention.

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#7

Ellis Walentine

Re: Tablesaw mishap

Ellis Walentine

I still have a scar on the tip of my middle finger from a jointer mishap about 30 years ago. I still can't believe I didn't lose the finger, but it bounced straight out when the knife edge hit the tip of the bone. To this day, I've been a very cautious woodworker. As we get older, I think we lose some of our self-awareness, and that calls for even more caution.

In the old (magazine) days, we always published a boxed disclaimer on the masthead page letting everyone know that woodworking is inherently dangerous and that they were solely responsible for their own safety. We meant it.

Mend well, and don't do it again. You might not be as lucky next time.

Ellis Walentine, Host

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#8

Any blade guard

Ray Newman

Glad it was minor.

Were you utilizing a blade guard?

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#9

Re: Tablesaw mishap

DocJim

And Ellis there was an article in the old AW on table saw safety and I did a piece on first aid in the shop. Ah, the good old days.

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#10

Re: Any blade guard

James Runchey

No, I've never used one, It would really take something at this age, to get me to try one. I did have one on my radial arm saw years ago.

Re: Tablesaw mishap

#11

so, get ready for four on the floor?

ian neuhaus

Sorry to be so crass...

but as we get older and yet remain confident that our abilities (and reactions) are the same as they were 40 years ago, we really should re-evaluate the risks around our favourite past time and the things and activities we do on a regular basis.

I'm happy for you that the damage was relatively minor, and wish you a speedy recovery

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.