WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

Posts

DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#1

DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

David Higgins

I've been seeing on YouTube how important a riving knife can be. I wanted to use the knife that came with my saw and my DIY zero clearance insert.

But, I was not happy with the techniques I saw on YouTube. One looked downright dangerous as it involved drawing the work piece backward over the spinning blade.

I measured the stock insert and figured I needed another 4 inches of slot length. I marked this on the DIY and settled and centered the DIY over the raised blade. Then, I brought the fence in flush and clamped a piece of stock to the fence over the DIY to prevent rise-up. I lowered the blade and moved the DIY 4 inched toward the front of the saw and clamped a stop block to the fence to prevent kickback. Then I turned on the saw and gradually raised the blade until the cut reached my mark. It turns out I could have cut a half inch less, but it worked fine.

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#2

Consignment Stores?

David Higgins

Pictures



Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#3

Pictures

David Higgins

The subject is wrong. Consignment stores is another topic

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#4

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

Don Orr

That looks great! Is the riving knife your own or did you purchase it ? How is it attached to the insert ? I like the idea enough to copy it. :D ;) Thanks.

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#5

Consignment Stores?

David Higgins

The knife came as standard equipment with the Grizzly G0690 cabinet saw.

The knife doesn't actually attach to the insert, it attaches to the blade mechanism with a bayonet and ball, so the knife moves with the blade -- up/down and tilt. My understanding is that marks the difference between a riving knife and a splitter.

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#6

Darned Chrome

David Higgins

I have to quit using Chrome for this board. Every time I turn around it puts bad data in the message subject and URL fields.

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#7

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

Rum

This looks more scalable.. but for a couple of one-offs I just used a small razor saw and cut down but sides of the slot and and drilled out the end of the hole to release the scrap. Worked fine and took maybe 3-4 minutes.

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#8

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

David Higgins

Good solution,Rum! One of the techniques I saw on YouTube used the scroll saw in a similar fashion. But, I didn't like the crooked edges of the cut. Your approach sounds much better.

Re: DIY Zero Clearance Insert with Riving Knife

#9

Re: Consignment Stores?

Don Orr

Thanks for the feedback!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.