WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How thick does a work bench top have to be?

Posts

How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#1

How thick does a work bench top have to be?

Barry Irby

I have a piece of butcher block top that might make a good top for a small workbench/table. It's about 1 1/2" thick.

How thick does it need to be for bench hooks to work?

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#2

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

Jack Guzman from Maine

I have a bench made out of an oak table top that is just proud of 1" and my holdfasts work fine. 1 1/2" should work . Easy to test . Get a piece of framing lumber of that thickness. Drill a hole and try it.---Jack

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#3

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

John K Jordan

I'm using maple glued up to make a counter top, about 1.5" thick. On frame and legs from 2x6 pine, doubled for legs. Very solid. Does everything I want.

JKJ

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#4

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

William Duffield

You mean holdfasts, not bench hooks, right? My Gramercy holdfasts work fine in 1-1/4" thick white oak, 1-7/8" hard maple and 1-1/8" European beech. Note that they work less well in thicker wood (e.g., over 3", but it depends…) unless you relieve the bottom of the dog hole.

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#5

You are correct, Holdfasts.


Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#6

OK, what advice on hole size and layout?


Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#7

JL

Re: OK, what advice on hole size and layout?

JL

It depends.

I have a full width tail vise in my work bench.

I drilled my holes every 4" or so down the sides of my bench.

I use "Bench dogs" from Lee Valley which require a 3/4" hole.

Lee Valley also has their "Wonder Dogs" - but I don't have those.

YMMV

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#8

Re: OK, what advice on hole size and layout? *LINK*

William Duffield

3/4" round holes are also appropriate for Gramercy holdfasts and all the bench accessories invented by Veritas (Lee Valley). They are inexpensive, and I've never found any other holdfast anywhere that works as well.

You can't have too many dog holes. I space mine on 3" centers. That way, I need to crank the vise much less. In addition to using them for dogs, holdfasts and planing stops, I find them useful for holding tools and work lights. Put some in the front of the right front leg (if you are right handed) on the end opposite your shoulder vise. I also put two dog holes in the shoulder vise chop, each aligned with a row of dog holes from front to back along the left end of the bench.


Gramercy Holdfasts

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#9

Re: OK, what advice on hole size and layout?

Hank Knight

Barry,

I have a different view of the number of holdfast holes you need. I was anxious not to make Swiss cheese out of my bench top so I was very careful about hole placement. When I built my bench 10 years ago, drilled one row of holes 10" apart and located so that my holdfasts reach to within 2 inches of the front edge of my bench. This served me well for a number of years. I have a 32" wide bench top and I found there were situations when a hole further back, away from the front, would have been handy. Finally, about a year ago I drilled a second set of holes, also 10" apart and spaced so that my holdfasts reach within about 2" from the back edge of my bench. The lateral spacing of the holes in the new row alternate with the holes in the original row. Now I can reach my entire bench top with holdfasts with relatively few holes. I drilled 3/4" holes to accommodate most of the currently available bench hardware. I also have rows of rectangular dog holes along the front and rear edges of my bench for use with bench dogs and my twin screw end vise.

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#10

a different philosophy

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I rarely use my holdfasts, but I use my vice dog (or whatever it is called) often. It is not handy to have a big gap between the bench edge and the dog when fastening what ever is to be fastened. I started with holes 6" apart and have since added holes in between. Bottom line of it keep handy the 3/4" drill and guide and drill holes when you find the need for them.

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#11

Re: OK, what advice on hole size and layout?

William Duffield

If you make and use a doe's foot or two or three, you can get away with fewer dog holes, without sacrificing set up time or convenience.

OTOH, you are not going to significantly weaken your bench top, even if you drilled a grid of dog hole every two inches, but you might wreck your rotator cuff in the process. :)

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#12

Re: a different philosophy

Hank Knight

Funny how we develop our own work styles. I use my holdfasts all the time. I have two sets: a set of the Veritas ones with the knob on top that applies the pressure, and a set of the Grammercy ones. I use them pretty much interchangeably. This weekend when I routed the dados for drawer dividers and kickers in my desk sides. I used all of them.

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#13

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

Don Stephan

My suggestion, before drilling any holes take the time to read The Workbench Book any maybe one or more of the workbench books by Chris Schwarz. Besides dogs and holdfasts, there are some very clever holding strategies that don't use either. You might not gain any new insight, but one never knows. Except The Shadow!

Re: How thick does a work bench top have to be?

#14

Yes, the Shadow knows!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.