WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

Posts

Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#1

Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

John K Jordan

Yesterday was a llama rescue operation. I drove 104 miles with a trailer to meet with some other experienced llama handlers. The project was to capture two llamas, one older and blind and the other 10 years young, wild and unhandled since birth. Both had been neglected and never had even basic health and grooming care. Catching them took all our tricks but went smoothly and no one got hurt. A couple of hours later they were on the way back to my place for temporary confinement.

24 hours later the two have most of the years of matted wool removed, fangs (fighting teeth) removed, toenails trimmed, other parts removed (castrated), and fecal samples taken for lab work - seems like we are always removing things! Well, we did add something: their shots. The two are resting and recovering (will be sore for a while) with plenty of food and water, will wait here for a foster home offer. For now they have horses across the fence for company.

That's what we do for fun in our spare time! Some rescues take hours and exhausting physical effort. For anyone bored with life we have plenty of opportunities for volunteer help.

JKJ

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#2

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

Bruce Schoenleber

"other parts removed..."

I don't care how feral I may become. Please don't rescue me John.

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#3

Fangs (fighting teeth).....

Brian Roberts

Hi John....

Didn't know llamas had such things.....and imagine my surprise (ouch) when I read that they use them to castrate other males???

Yikes...

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#4

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

Ralph Lipeles

I have a small, inexpensive water separator that I use when spraying. It is set up with quick disconnects so I can quickly pop it in place when needed and remove it when not needed.

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#5

Re: Fangs (fighting teeth).....

John K Jordan

Yes, they can slash necks and legs. The vet saws them off with a flexible cable saw.

The males are fun to watch "play" fighting when they are growing up. They go for each other's head, ears, and legs. In the wild if they can slice open a leg they probably kill their rival.

JKJ

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#6

Dirty Jobs

Jerry Nicholson

One episode of Dirty Jobs showed Mike Rowe sawing off the teeth.

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#7

Whats next for the llamas

Clifton C

John, when you have a rescue like that, is it because of bad owners or are there feral llamas. After recovering, what is the next step in their journey? Just curious, I grew up in tobacco country, not livestock country.

cc

Re: Fun farm stuff: llama rescue.

#8

Some guys have all the fun !


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.