WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Water in air line question

Posts

Water in air line question

#1

Water in air line question

Barry Irby

This afternoon I was trying to spray some Lacquer. Began to get drops of water.

The compressor is outside in a closet. I do not have an air line dryer in use. I think I have one somewhere, but not in use. Pretty sure its buried under a huge pile of scraps.

So, what are the steps?

Drain the tank. PITA, but doable.

Blow out the lines.

Acquire a dryer? Can you make one? Where do you buy one?

Re: Water in air line question

#2

Re: Water in air line question

John K Jordan

With no dryer you can expect to blow water on your work.

I use several things to keep water out of the lines. One, I made a gravity trap from brass tubing (with a drain valve on the bottom) to catch liquid water that condenses in the line from the tank. Next on the line is a cheap water separator to catch liquid water that makes it past the trap. Then a desiccant dryer absorbs any water vapor that gets that far. The air at that point goes thru a regulator then to the shop air plumbing.

I also have gravity water traps at all the air outlets but have never seen a drop of moisture from one so the other stuff must be working.

If I'm using the plasma cutter I use a second, smaller disposable in-line desiccant dryer at the point where the house enters the machine. For insurance. Plasma wants dry air.

If I had just one thing and no money I'd add a cheap centrifugal water separator. If dry air was critical I would get a good industrial desiccant dryer. I bought mine through Amazon. It has cartridges that need to be replaced periodically but I cheat, take the cartridges apart, and replace the desiccant with dry desiccant than dry the wet desiccant in the oven.

I suspect you could get by on the short term with a disposable desiccant dryer just before your spray gun. (I get them from a local Northern Tool store.) That is, of course, after draining any moisture from the tank and blowing out the lines.

Another thing recommended is to put any separator/dryers at least 20 ft from the tank. The long line allows the air to cool and most of the water vapor to condense and be caught in a gravity trap and/or a separator.

JKJ

Re: Water in air line question

#3

Re: Water in air line question

Dick Coers

Draining the tank should be done fairly often, several times a year, especially when used during months of high humidity. Water separators must be located quite far away from the compressor to be most efficient. Heated air from the compressor will hold a lot of water and be hard to separate. Cooler air makes the separator more efficient. I always used at least a two step separation when I was in business. First was a common filter/separator, commonly found at Harbor Freight. Then I used a desiccate filter and also a "toilet paper" filter. That was a common name for a filter that had a roll of brown paper in it. The desiccate and paper filter captured really fine water particles. Check with an automotive paint supplier if you want to shop local.

Re: Water in air line question

#4

Progress, and a step backwards

Barry Irby

No good deed goes unpunished.

The drain valve on the compressor is difficult to get to. Kind of down in a shallow pit in an out side closet. So to get to it, I tipped the compressor up on its side. About 30 degrees. Leaned it on the wall against the guard around the pulleys and belt. Opened the valve with a pair of pliers. Was surprised it only spewed a little mist. I stood it up onto its wheels and tipped the front up so as to drain the tank toward the valve. Got nearly nothing. The compressor ran because I was bleeding it. Then the compressor stopped and the motor kept running. I unplugged it quickly. Turns out oil spewed out an lubricated the belt and pulleys. Spent about half an hour cleaning and re-cleaning them to restore the traction.

Blew the water out of the air lines and was good to go. I will be getting a drier this week.

Re: Water in air line question

#5

Re: Progress, and a step backwards

Steve jenkins

Just to make draining the tank easier attach a piece of hose to the bottom of the tank leaving that valve open put another valve on the end of the hose. Make it long enough to reach out of the closet. To drain simply pick up the end of the hose,open the valve and drain into a bucket.

Re: Water in air line question

#6

Re: Progress, and a step backwards

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Son and I did almost the same thing to my 60 gal compressor. It sits near the large garage door in my shop. We replaced the drain plug with a reducer and attached a 1/4" plastic air line then installed a 1/4" ball valve outside the compressor base. we then ran a 1/4" line under the garage door so the water can drain in the driveway. Easy to drain now. I also have a double industrial water separator with a drain and a separate Filter and regulator installed in my main line. I split the main and have an oiler and regulator on the split line to run air tools.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.