WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

Posts

Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

#1

Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

Michael Dresdner

I helped a friend set up a new Grizzly tablesaw. We put on a blade and did a test cut. He informed me a day or so later that he could not loosen the nut to remove the blade. I went there today and it required jamming the blade with metal and using an oversize wrench to finally crack it free. Once off, we tried again, very lightly setting the nut and doing a test cut. Again, it took an intense amount of force to remove it. We put vaseline on the threads, the face of the nut, and the unusual washer. It's still hard to remove. It is a very unusual nut/washer design, and I think that is the culprit. My take is to replace the stepped nut and recessed washer with a more traditional nut and dome washer seen on most saws. Has anyone else experienced this with a new Grizzly saw, and how did you resolve it? Thanks.

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

#2

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

Keith Newton

Maybe you didn't get it tight enough. The startup will allow the blade to slip a little until the nut tightens, which will be like hammering the wrench when the nut spins up and grabs. If you want to find out how hard it can be just leave it part way out as I did once to go answer a phone call I was expecting, then forgot it was loose when I came back out. Ever since I will never again answer the phone while making a blade change.

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

#3

What worked for me

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I had this problem on a mower that had a fine thread for the blade bolt.....what were they thinking. I solved it with a slather of anti-seize compound on the threads. This stuff is a suspension of what appears to be metal and molybdenum sulfide in grease.

What is seizing could be either the washer surface or I think more likely the threads. What is the thread pattern(acme?), size and pitch?

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

#4

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

Most table saws use an an Acme thread on the arbor. They will not accept a regular threaded nut. The first step should be to replace the current nut. Tighten the new nut snugly using a wrench. Run the saw and see if the new nut works better. If your new nut is binding when fully tight, add one or two thick washers between the nut and the flange to move off the worn thread area of the arbor.

Lee

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

#5

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

Barry Irby

Might try, In addition the the things already mentioned, marking the position of the nut on the shaft with a tick mark from a fine pint Sharpie to see if the nut tightens further in use. Not sure exactly what that would tell you, but probably would meant you weren't tight enough to start with.

Another thing, call Grizzly. I have called them several times about my sander and they have been open and very patient.

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

#6

Re: Grizzly Tablesaw arbor nut

Keith Newton

I just re-read your description, and since this is a new saw, and I'll assume you both know how tight to tighten the nut, I'm still wondering if the blade at startup isn't the culprit. Make sure there isn't any grease on the washer on the other side of the blade which allows the arbor to spin a little before getting the blade spinning. I'd wash it and the blade down with a hot solvent.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.