WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Full extension drawer guides

Posts

Full extension drawer guides

#1

Full extension drawer guides

Dick Krieger

I am making oak file cabinets for my new office and am overwhelmed with the choices and brands of full extension guides AND prices. I was on Ovis website in addition to others. KV used to be the only "go to" brand in the past. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Will be using 24" or 26" size.

Re: Full extension drawer guides

#2

I prefer Accuride


Re: Full extension drawer guides

#3

Re: Full extension drawer guides

Tom Norton

For a number of customers I have made furniture units and office piece with fie drawers . Both lateral files and regular. I have used Blum undermounts and they have performed well.

Re: Full extension drawer guides

#4

Ellis Walentine

Slides for filing cabinets

Ellis Walentine

For file drawers, you need heavy-duty slides -- rated at least 100 lbs. whether side-hung or under-mounted. You also want full-extension (or even full-extension with 1" overtravel) slides, so you have full access to the contents at the back of the drawer when fully extended.

When I was a product manager at an office furniture manufacturer, we used Accuride slides -- the double-height units with overtravel and steel ball bearings (not the Delrin bearing models). I've also used Grant slides, which are virtually exact equivalents of the Accurides (or used to be -- I haven't checked recently).

Lately, for kitchen cabinets, I've turned to the Blum tandem Blumotion undermount slides, mostly for appearance reasons, but also for the soft-close feature. They're more expensive than typical side-mounted slides and IMO overkill for file cabinets.

Ellis

Re: Full extension drawer guides

#5

accuride v KV

ronster

I had a situation a few months ago where old slides were malfunctioning due to worn-out rubber hold-close bushings at the rear of the slides. Accuride customer service was quick to reply and sent free replacements. KV didn't reply. Just one data point.

Re: Full extension drawer guides

#6

I'm with Ellis on the Blum,

Keith Newton

KV does make a knockoff of the Blum undermount which sells for about $3 ~5 less, but I usually go ahead and use the Blum, mainly since I normally buy by the box, and have an assortment of lengths and clips onhand to fall back on for the unusual situations.

I've not had good luck with the soft close on the Acuride type side mount full extension.

Re: Full extension drawer guides

#7

Re: Full extension drawer guides

Dick Krieger

Thanks to all, especially to Ellis for specific info on file cabinets. I'll begin my search for full extension plus 1" guides.

This is a great resource and I appreciate all those who contributed.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.