WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

Posts

Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#1

Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

mkauder

Thought sure I posted this here a few days back, I seem to have posted it everywhere else, to no good effect yet.

Anybody using a drum sander? I need a recommendations for a conveyor belt for my old Performax 16/32. I have fought for years with the normal belts, tracking issues, etc. I put a new one on a week ago, and it broke today. When I put that one on a week ago, I bit the bullet and spend $90 for one of the poly belts. So when this one broke today, I put the poly one one, and yes it tracks straight, but is so slippery that it will not pull wood through the sander. ???????? Sending it back, getting an overnight delivery of a conventional belt so that I will not be further stalled, but really looking for recommendations for a better belt.

Someone on the AAW Segmented Turning forum told me that the Poly belts have a release agent on them that needs to be scuffed off, so I canceled the return on that and will take the chance on scuffing it with my ROS and not being able to return it.

I did find that Industrial Abrasives will make belts for it in a grit of my choice for about $17 each, about 1/2-1/3 the price of most others, so I bought a couple from them, as well as some from FinTech abrasives for $28. We shall see.

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#2

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

Barry Irby

I, along with others here have fought this battle more than once.

I bought one from WoodCraft that was supposed to be OEM and put it on. Could not get it to track. Bought a second one from them and it would not track either. Ruined the first one by scrubbing it against the edge and they would not take it back. Returned the second one when I discovered it would not track and it is NOT OEM. In between those two I bought one of the poly film backed ones. Had to make it so tight to keep it from slipping, I bent the brackets on the machine. It finally crashed (in slow motion) against the frame and shredded itself. It was underneath a wide top where I could not see it at the moment. I finally gave up and called Jet who make the Performax now. Told the guy I had the OEM belt form Woodcraft. He Said, "It's not OEM and I have spent so much time on the phone with people trying to get them to track, I'm not going to waste my time or yours., buy a Jet belt and call me back."

I bought the Jet belt and Put it on and ....... it worked perfectly. Did exactly what it was supposed to do. I was sort of flummoxed. I was geared up for a fight and ...nothing. It just worked and still does.

Unfortunately the belt cost about $90, but it was money well spent. I would do it again. Wasted a lot of time and money on others.

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#3

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

mkauder

Well, If I am unsuccessful with these three manufacturer I am trying now, I will give that a try. I was contacted my the Poly belt maker and he told me that I needed to rough up the surface...........why don't they do that at the factory?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#4

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

Barry Irby

I would have never thought of roughing up the back. I did consider belt dressing and other sticky stuff. I did rough up the drive roller. With the belt off I ran the machine and held a piece of course sandpaper on it.

What is exasperating is I bought the machine used and then used the belt that was on it for more than five years until the seam failed. I do not recall ever adjusting the tracking. Since then I have had to watch the tracking on every belt, even after I did the best I could with them. With the poly belt I would run it for about ten minutes and then slide the belt over.

Let me know if you find a cheaper belt that works well. I hated paying almost $100 for the belt, but it has been a blessing if overpriced.

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#5

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

mkauder

They were talking about roughing up the grid surface that touches the wood, not the platform/drive side. I would run a segmented ring though, and it would be thrown back out at me.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they replied basically the same thing, to rough it up with a sander, then vacuum it clean. They did tell me that if it did not work after all that, they would take it back.

Mark

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#6

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

Keith Newton

Mark, If for some reason they won't take it back, what I would try, is to clean it up good, then spray a light coat of contact cement on the top surface. Once it is dry, it's basically a rubber coating that should grab the wood better.

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#7

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

mkauder

I decided to not send it back and see what it takes to make it work. The contact cement is good idea. I have thought about contact cement and a dusting of an abrasive grit powder of some kind.

Mark

Re: Performax 16/32 Transport Belt Recommendations

#8

that would be a bad idea

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

1st, any sort of sticky stuff is going to accumulate saw dust and soon become unsticky stuff. Loose grit is going to come off on the lumber and be hell on chisels, hand planes etc.

I have this same machine and the belt has worked fine for many years. QED, the proper belt can be found and it will be trouble-free. When mine ceases to work fine I will get a replacement from the new company that restarted making a similar but better machine, I suppose as soon as the non-compete agreement ran out. I think they are out of MN, can't recall name. Or follow Barry's sage advice based on experience.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.