Listen up sander manufacturers. I have several sanders. Various brands. What they all need is some really bright LED lights that shine on and rake across the wood to illuminate the scratches. I use a little powerful flashlight for this but it would be nice if it were built into the sander. Hooded so as to shine down, not into my eyes.
I usually wet the material with naphtha, alcohol, etc. then view the surface. Any scratch marks will show up WAY better then.
When I follow the proper sanding routine I rarely have any scratches left. IE: Sanding using the correct grit and not jumping grit sizes and cleaning between grits. Actually I find it is quicker when I follow the proper routine.
I doubt I would use a light on the sander as I like to do the final inspection wet!
You are correct. I wet the surface too. But lately I am beginning to wonder about my eyesight. Sometimes I am shocked at what I didn't see before wetting it. I need all the help I can get.
(My favorite WoodCentral comment recently was I mentioned I had improved my shop lights and was seeing more scratches and other defects Somebody said, "There's your problem, go back to the old lights.")
I don't think I would use a special light on a sander for scratches. That would require moving the sander around to light the surface from different directions.
I prefer a hand-held light for inspection. I've bought a bunch and my hands-down favorite hand-held light of all times is this
the Fenix model LD22. I think I have seven of them, in the car, shop, house, barn, for travel. I use them every day in the shop. It's the light I carry around the farm at night, plenty bright to light up a field or see to aim a shotgun. The first one I got some years ago still works perfectly.
Why do I like it?
- small diameter, fits nicely in pocket
- four levels, very dim to blindingly bright
- uses two universally available AA batteries
- a sensible on/off switch
- a well designed UI
The soft switch on the end can be pressed lightly for momentary light, clicked to keep on. A second switch changes the brightness. The UI doesn't let you accidentally switch to or force you move through those silly modes I might never use: SOS and flashing. (This aspect of a flashlight is a deal-maker/breaker for me.)
I track the price with CamelCamelCamel and buy when the price drops below $40.
I also use naptha, wiped on with paper towel - great for revealing defects, wiping away sanding dust, AND for showing what the wood will look like with finish.
I like hand sanding because it gets me intimate with the task and goal. I can detect sanding deficiencies under any lighting conditions used for sanding-indoor, outdoor. I can readily detect anything that will cause a pigment stain to reveal even more of the defect. It seems to me that these defects are so obvious that anyone could see them under any reasonable light- unless they are covered up by sanding dust? Bottom line- I think the problem is knowing what to look for and how, not the light. Hand sanding and pigment staining is good training.
A contractor friend that brings me a lot of work has one that I've used and like a lot. Invariably we'll be finishing up something outside either in too bright Sun or around dark, and it really helps being able to see the line. If I outlive the saw that I have, this would be my next choice.
Sometimes on certain occasions, I've used the elastic strap on one of my head-lights to strap the light onto the back of my hand, so I still have the use of that hand for other task. You might try doing that. It just takes a little stretching and twisting to get battery and light in the right place.