WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Posts

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#1

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis E Peacock

23 Oct 2017

Good Morning Everyone,

The good news today is that the king size bed project is now at the designer/owner's home and no longer in my shop. They haven't decided on a color or finish yet, but they decided to take it home with them and then work with me after they have decided on the actual install of the bed. My only question now is "how long will it take them to decided on a color/finish AND how long will it take them to apply said color/finish before they call me for the install?"

No matter, here's a pic of proof that I've actually been doing something in the shop for a change:


Played some music with friends this weekend and I have the sore fingers to prove that I need to practice guitar more. :)

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis Peacock

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#2

rebuilt my reamer

john lucas

I had to ream tapered mortises into some legs I was turning for a lady. I actually broke my old homemade reamer trying to ream the Zebra wood. I used it for the Maple legs without much hassle but the Zebra wood would bind up on the uphill portion of the grain and just grab and not want to release. I ended up making a steel reamer. I am a really really crappy metalsmith. bought a Smithy a bunch of years ago and still struggle to use it. I did get this done although when I was getting ready to make more passes and cut the grooves deeper something slipped and I just couldn't get it back on so I stopped and worked on it with a file. It worked. I reamed 8 mortises with it.


Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#3

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Hank Knight

Glued up the walnut end panels for a desk I'm building:

[url=https://postimg.org/image/5opa05gm3v/][/url]

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#4

Re: rebuilt my reamer

William Duffield

The steel reamer in your pic has a much steeper angle (about 14°) than the adjacent wooden bodied reamer (about 4-1/2°). Did you re-turn the taper on the tenons to match the angle of the mortises made by the new reamer?

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#5

Re: rebuilt my reamer

John C Lucas

I made.the reamer to.match what the ladies drawing said the tapers.sjhould be. I prefer a longer taper which is why i built the other one at the angle i did.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.