WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Why I use drawer slips

Posts

Why I use drawer slips

#1

Why I use drawer slips

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Slips are an English furniture invention to deal with the problems of the thin white oak sides commonly used in English Period Furniture. They have become a fashion statement for English furniture in modern times. I find them useful in my work that isn't English and does not use thin white oak sides.

They provide additional bearing surface for thin drawer sides in any kind of wood. They provide a groove for the drawer bottom in a thin drawer side. And, they make aligning the drawers bottom slots trivial.



The picture shows how I install them, using an alignment piece the thickness of the drawer bottom . After they are glued on the bottom of the slip is planed level with the drawer side. I always have scrap from making drawer sides to make the slips from so no additional wood is required.

Re: Why I use drawer slips

#2

Re: Why I use drawer slips

William Duffield

A question/observation on your ingenious alignment appliance: Why don't you make it longer than the drawer side? That way, it would rest on the bottom of the drawer back (under the nose of the orange clamp in your photograph), minimizing the chance that a misapplied clamp would allow the slip to squirm out of alignment at the back of the drawer. Another (trivial) advantage is that you could preset all the clamps to the same opening.

Re: Why I use drawer slips

#3

Re: Why I use drawer slips

Don Stephan

In addition to the mentioned benefits of slips, they add an unexpected shadow line in the drawer, making the inside visually more interesting.

Extremely grateful for Richard/Sgian for first sharing this with us 15 or 20 years ago.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.