WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Posts

***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#1

Ellis Walentine

***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Ellis Walentine

Yep, exactly 19 years ago today, I flipped the switch and WoodCentral said "hello world." That, coincidentally, was my last day at Rodale Press and American Woodworker magazine. Interestingly, this week, Rodale Press was sold to Hearst Magazines, and American Woodworker breathed its last a few years ago after changing hands three more times. Some eras end, not ours. You folks have made this forum a benchmark community for woodworking discussion, and I'm still awed by the breadth and depth of your interest and knowledge, and by your sense of community. Thanks so much for sharing the ride with me.

Onward,

Ellis Walentine, Host

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#2

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

John K Jordan

Well Happy Birthday! After the neighbors down the ridge wake up I think I'll go out to the sawmill behind the barn and play the birthday song real loud on the cornet.

JKJ

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#3

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Larry Barrett

Happy Birthday indeed, and lets hope for many more. Thanks for all you do, Ellis.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#4

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

AZ in Colorado Springs

Awesome!! Happy birthday!

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#5

Happy Birthday!

Don Orr

And thanks for making this a home-away-from home for me and many others. Keep up the great work!

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#6

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Joe in a Cleveland suburb

Happy Birthday.

Wow. 19 years of a great forum.

Happy to say this is the only ww'ing forum I've ever registered with.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#7

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

You have done a great job, monitoring all of us here, giving us a lot of latitude without letting arguments get out of hand. That has to be a difficult job! Kudo's to you. I have been a "member" for an unknown amount of years (I know at least 13) and have visited this site almost every day. Thanks, for maintaining WoodCentral for all these years.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#8

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

terry quiram

A grand accomplishment. Been with you since before the end of Badger Pond.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#9

Cheers!

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Ellis,

If you ever wonder if this site really makes a difference (and I hope you don't), I can tell you that WoodCentral and the community here have helped me immeasurably. I was a garage shop hobbyist when this site started. Today my work is in galleries around the country and I have done commissions all over the world.

Perhaps a cliche, but sometimes it really does "take a village". Thank you to you and everyone here, and those who are our dearly departed.

T.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#10

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

John Pappas

Congratulations!!!!! And I am proud to say that I have been with you from the beginning.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#11

*** Kudos Ellis ***

Mike Farinella

Continued success in all your endeavors.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#12

WoodCentral has helped my woodowrking

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The depth and breadth of knowledge here is amazing, far more so than any competitive site. Other sites seem to be more social, which is fine if one is looking for social interaction. But this site is the place to go for help and often several helpful views on a topic. I like that this site cares more about the participants than the advertisers.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#13

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Howard Pollack

Thanks for your work keeping this going.

-Howard

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#14

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Dave Bair

Congratulations. I've been a daily visitor since 1999. The site has just gotten better and better over the years.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#15

Alan Young

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Alan Young

American Woodworker in the Ellis era was my entry level WW'ing publication.-That magazine format was deliciously tactile in it's writing/photography and content. Wood Central picked up when AWW phased away. I can't believe it's been 19 years. A good way to reminisce is to look through the Shop Shots and the Mug Shots-So many great pieces and faces-Some not with us anymore. I used to drop in to Badger Pond-another forum that had a huge following-It certainly had it's own "personality" -but it's more "chaotic" activity scared me. Then the "Pond" was drained and it's residents descended en-mass to WC. It was amazing to watch these woodworking refugees swim desperately over here to Ellis Island. It's been great to be part of the life of this site. Congratulates Ellis and all who lurk and post-

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#16

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

William Duffield

Happy Birthday and Congratulations, Ellis! I've been here since the draining of Badger Pond (in 2003, I think). I wish I'd discovered WoodCentral earlier. This is the only woodworking forum I find valuable enough to visit on a daily basis and to contribute my knowledge and opinions to.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#17

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

DocJim

Happy Birthday and many more Ellis. I do remember the early days and what a great magazine AW was under your leadership.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#18

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Hank Knight

Happy Birthday Wood Central! And thank you, Ellis, for all you have given me, both at American Woodworker and here at Wood Central.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#19

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Lynn Baker

Thank you Ellis. It's been a really great ride.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#20

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Jim Dillon

Happy Birthday from another happy user of all the knowledge here on WC. Still have my copies of AWW from those days when it was great - thanks to you. 19 years?! Hard to believe. Keep up the good work! Jim

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#21

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Thanks so much for providing this truly important venue. It's made me a better woodworker and the seemingly endless fount of knowledge is staggering. It's the best resource on the Internet, and the first place I go to for answers and inspiration.

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#22

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Keith Newton

That's great Ellis, congrats! Now that I've given up drinking beer, I'll have to celebrate with a nice cold drink of cranberry juice. ha

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

#23

Re: ***WoodCentral's Birthday***

Norman (Ottawa, Ont.)

Happy Birthday WoodCentral and Ellis!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.