WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

Posts

Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#1

Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

Barry Irby

I was using a solid carbide router bit today and it move in the chuck.

The bit is beautifully made and the the shaft is really slick. I thought I tightened it well, but I suspect I might have to really cinch down on it because it's so hard and polished. Any thoughts?

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#2

JL

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

JL

I've never had a problem w/ the collet gripping any of my solid carbide router bits.

Maybe you do have to cinch down a bit more w/ your collet. One big question - how old is your collet? They can wear - but usually cinching down on them will counter the effect of wearing.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#3

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

Barry Irby

I don't know how old it is. It's a Festool 1400 I bought at an estate sale. Also got the big dog track saw. Festool 75? Neither of them appear to have much wear. Looks like they got very little use. I have not put a lot of hours on them either. Just used the router again and took great care installing the bit and it worked fine.

You don't happen to know where I put the collet wrench do you? I am waiting for it to reappear.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#4

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

Dick Coers

A polished shank should be easier to grip, more contact area than a roughed up shank.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#5

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

jesse cloud

Probably not relevant, but just in case. Festool makes some odd sizes of collets for the 1400 - 8mm and 3/8. There are good reasons for using both of these, but if you are trying to put a 1/4 bit in there, that's the problem. They also make standard 1/4 and 1/2 bits.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#6

Jesper, Denmark

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

Jesper, Denmark

Standard metric collects are 6, 8 and 12 mm. The 6 mm is not common.

The "close" US inch size collets, 1/4" (6.35 mm) and ½" (12.2 mm)are both slightly larger than the metric sizes.

The problem would happen if trying to use a metric shaft in an inch collet.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#7

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

John McGaw

When I've had slippage that seemed to call for extra torque on the collet it is usually time for a good cleaning. I've found that soaking in acetone and pushing a little wad of steel wool down the opening a few times usually does the trick.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#8

Clean the collet and taper.

Brian Holcombe

I worked in a machine shop as a kid. There were some things hammered into me about using machine tools and equipment. Cleanliness counts, everytime we changed bits in a mill or cutter we cleaned the collet and taper. Dirt creates runout and makes for a collet that does not hold tight.

Assemble a collet that has not been cleaned and weeks of new found respect would evaporate in seconds. :D

That said, I've had trouble holding up-cut spiral bits at times, they require a very tight grip. Outside of them I've not had this issue.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#9

Thanks everyone....

Barry Irby

The idea of cleaning it never occurred to me. Duhh!

And that an upcut spiral bit would be harder to grasp that a straight bit did not occur to me either. Now I grasp that the bit is trying to screw itself out of the collet. No wonder the straight bits worked fine and the trouble came with the spiral one. I was running it in a fairly snug guide bushing and the guide bushing was almost touching the surface. That thing had to pull the debris up though the guide bushing like a drill bit. Now I see why trimming the work piece on the bandsaw so that it was only taking half a bite and letting the chips fly is a better idea. I was thinking it would balance the forces on the bit to let it plough the workpiece rather than trim the edge.

I love woodworking. Much to learn. Think Pooh Bear, Think.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#10

Re: Thanks everyone....

William Duffield

You probably already know this, but it is worth mentioning, just in case. Do not try to seat the bit all the way at the bottom of the collet. That could keep the collet from tightening completely on the bit shank. After pushing it all the way down, pull it back away from the bottom of the shaft at least 1/16" before tightening the collet.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#11

Re: Clean the collet and taper.

Ron Pemberton

I purchased a gun cleaning kit with brass brushes for various calibers in hand guns from Cabela's that I use to clean the inside of the collets.

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question.

#12

Re: Gripping solid carbide router bit Question. *LINK*

Jim Dillon

Barry, I've used brass collet cleaning brushes to keep things clean. Never had a problem (knock-on-wood). Here is a link to one example although I can't really recall where I bought mine. Jim


Collet Brush Kit

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.