WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

Posts

building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#1

building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

john lucas

I have a question. I am pretty sure it was in a book or article by John Alexander on how to build a tapered reamer using key hole saw blade. I have his older book and it's not in there or any of my other chair maker books. I built my first one leaving the teeth on and sharpening the other side with a burr. I'm wanting to make another one with no saw teeth. What I'm wondering is should I put an edge on the metal similar to a cabinet scraper plane that is sharpened at an angle and then a burr raised. Or do I make the edge square and raise a burr similar to a cabinet scraper. I think maybe the article on making these was in either a later version of John Alexanders book or was in an article somewhere. Anyone know about this. The reason I'm asking is a need a cleaner looking hole for some legs to a campaign chair I'm building for a lady. The rough hole works well but I have used that chairs that are never dissassmbled. On these I would just like it to look cleaner.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#3

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

John K Jordan

Wow, what a great article!

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#4

JL

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

JL

Do you have any old planer or jointer blades?

Those work quite nicely. You can use a keyhole saw blade, but they aren't quite as nice.

I've used old blades from my DeWalt planer that I've trimmed w/ a Dremel tool.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#5

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

Brian Holcombe

JL that is pure genius! The keyhole sawblades are terrible.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#6

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

Philip Duffy

I made mine some 15 years ago and it still works like a machine. Philip

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#7

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

John C Lucas

Exactly what i needed. Didnt remeber the relief cut for shavings to escape.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#8

Thanks JL

John C Lucas

I ha e.planer blade and when time allows i will make one with that.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#9

That's now Jennie Alexander, not John.


Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#10

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

Keith Newton

John, I use my planer knives for scrapers that I sharpen like a chisel, then roll a burr. If I use the Koolmist sprayer when I grind, the edge chips out, so I have to get it red each time I resharpen before it will roll.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#11

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

William Duffield

The reamers that Tim Manney makes (developed by Peter Galbert, I believe) are similar to the ones in the articl John Aniano provided, with a couple of refinements.

He turns a cone on the top end and sets a small brass point in the end of the cone, to be used for aligning the reamer with the sight lines.

He also sets an adjusting screw in a tapped hole, so it engages the back of the scraper blade, to adjust and hold the exposure of the scraper.

You'll probably need to make one of these, too:

http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com/2015/06/use-your-reamer-to-make-matching-tenon.html

It's a lot easier than trying to match the angle of your reamer to an existing tenon rounder.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#12

Re: Sharpening a tapered reamer

William Duffield

Tim also explains methods for sharpening the reamer blade:

http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com/2013/05/reamer-blade-sharpening.html

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#13

Great info.  Wil be making aother one soon


Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#14

Re: Great info.  Wil be making aother one soon

William Duffield

There's lots more useful info along the same lines in Peter Galbert's and Tim Manney's blogs, not to mention in Peter Galbert's book, "Chairmaker's Notebook."

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#15

Roy was using one on his show last night

Barry Irby

In the one he had the blade was a tapered piece of metal and was loose. The shaft was tapered with a slot and the blade fit loosely in the slot. He drilled the hole with an auger bit in a brace, using a sliding tee bevel to site it in. Then he tapered it, mentioned you could correct the angle of the hole to some extent.

His tee handle shaft did not include any relief on the cutting edges and it clogged quickly. He commented it would cut you so be very careful cleaning out the debris. Seemed to cut on both edges. I though cutting some relief space into the wooden taper on both sides would be good, but I don't know. Maybe you can look up the show somehow.

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#16

Re: Roy was using one on his show last night

William Duffield

Would you happen to have noted the Woodwright Shop season and episode number?

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#17

Re: Roy was using one on his show last night

Barry Irby

Sorry, I wasn't really watching closely and did not think of getting the numbers. Wonder how I could research that?

Re: building a tapered reamer for windsor chairs

#18

Welsh Stick Chair 1......

Barry Irby

Season 35 Episode 10 about 19 or 20 minutes in.

That is one ugly chair.

Went to PBS and looked it up. Just started with Roy Underhill in Google.

The chair is painfully ugly to me, but the techniques carry over.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.