WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How tall is a coffee table?

Posts

How tall is a coffee table?

#1

How tall is a coffee table?

Barry Irby

I know that's a "How high is Up?" Question, but my son and DIL want a coffee table. So far I know its going to be OVAL. Any advice on Height? Size in general?

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#2

Alan Young

Intuitive estimate

Alan Young

I'd sit at the intended couch/easy chair etc- where ever the average user "knee" reaches is a good start. I'd suggest somewhere between 16" and 22"

-Alan

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#3

Been looking on line.....

Barry Irby

17 or 18" seems to be in the ball park.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#4

Re: Been looking on line.....

Stuart Johnson

The one I made is 17". It was done in a class at Homestead Heritage so I have no idea how the height was determined.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#5

Depends

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

on what's in your cup and how many you've had.

I make mine at 19" to match the hard height of an adult's unpadded chair.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#6

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

Jim O'Connor

For an oval I would go for 22 x 44 with the 44 maximum length. My preference is somewhat shorter say 36.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#7

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

Dave Bair

Based on my experience, make it just tall enough to painfully clip your knee as you walk past it.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#8

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

William Duffield

I despise coffee tables, too.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#9

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

Keith Newton

Have your son sit down and hold his feet out where he wants to rest them if it's going to be an ugly race-track oval. Now if it's going to be a nice ellipse, I'd go a little higher, hoping he won't put his feet on something nicer.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#10

Clint Searl

15"


Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#11

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

Dick Coers

I make mine the same height as a chair seat, 18". That also makes it flush with the seat cushion on a lot of sofas. Mine catches the heels of my feet, and often holds my plate. That height works well for both of those.

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#12

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

Al Stokka - Cambridge, Iowa

19" H x 18"W x 36-48"L

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#13

Ellis Walentine

No real standards

Ellis Walentine

I've always made them 17" or 18" high, about the average height of a chair seat.

Ellis

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#14

18"


Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#15

ebd

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

ebd

Just measured the one I made. 17.5" at the top.


Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#16

Clint Searl

I call that a side table


Re: How tall is a coffee table?

#17

Re: How tall is a coffee table?

John McGaw

16" to 18" with adjustments up/down depending on the seating height according to my Rodale reference.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.